Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    With the average grade requirements being E/D/C/B at least. Reason I'm asking is because I want to move away from home but my mum sometimes suggests the local university for me which is awful and I want to do an English degree so that's an no no. The nearest local one I'd think about is Buckinghamshire or Anglia Ruskin but I'm thinking about going to Kings College London or Durham and all that. I'm on course for A grades and D*s. I know it sounds like I just answered my own question but have any of you guys sacrificed better universities for local ones that are lower in entry requirements to your predictions? I know my mum will come around but the University of Bedfordshire is appalling and since I live near it, don't want to go to university with people I know. I want to make new friends and hopefully go to a city with better job opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go to the uni which you think has the best course. Ultimately that's what you go to uni for - the course and how far from home it is should not even come into it I think.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    My heart is set on KCL although I want to be able to look round first and really find a course I want to go for.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't entertain the possibility of going to a local university. If you live near Anglia Ruskin, you're only going to be an hour or two away from your home were you to attend KCL. You'll be more than close enough, whilst still having the umbilical detached.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by LLB with a big D)
    I wouldn't entertain the possibility of going to a local university. If you live near Anglia Ruskin, you're only going to be an hour or two away from your home were you to attend KCL. You'll be more than close enough, whilst still having the umbilical detached.
    Yeah that is true, plus I don't want to go through clearing so I'm just going to apply where I think I should go and can achieve. Plus the University of Bedfordshire has an awful reputation and the course I want to do, just won't be something I can learn there. I know people who have achieved 80 points that have gone there. A lot of their students got E grades at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Yeah that is true, plus I don't want to go through clearing so I'm just going to apply where I think I should go and can achieve. Plus the University of Bedfordshire has an awful reputation and the course I want to do, just won't be something I can learn there. I know people who have achieved 80 points that have gone there. A lot of their students got E grades at A Level.
    Yeah, these universities are terrible. Even though you'll have decent A-Levels/L3 quals, your name will be forever tainted by "Bedfordshire" after BA (Hons).
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by LLB with a big D)
    Yeah, these universities are terrible. Even though you'll have decent A-Levels/L3 quals, your name will be forever tainted by "Bedfordshire" after BA (Hons).
    Even one of my teachers told me not to apply there whilst my other teachers went there and said that it's fine. For some subjects it could be classed as ok but if I went there then I'd regret it. Sounds like I'm being snobby but that university should only be a last resort.

ReputationRep:
    Durham for English is extremely difficult to get into and you will need exceptional grades. By all means apply for good universities but look into how likely you are to get offers before applying.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Durham for English is extremely difficult to get into and you will need exceptional grades. By all means apply for good universities but look into how likely you are to get offers before applying.
    True although I prefer Warwick and KCL. I wouldn't mind going to Brunel or Sheffield either.

ReputationRep:
    True although I prefer Warwick and KCL. I wouldn't mind going to Brunel or Sheffield either.
    It isn't clear but from your grades it seems a Btec and an A level. Can I suggest that you check that your qualifications are acceptable to the unis you are thinking o applying to.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    It isn't clear but from your grades it seems a Btec and an A level. Can I suggest that you check that your qualifications are acceptable to the unis you are thinking o applying to.
    Yeah sorry about that. I'm doing English Literature, English Language and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and I've checked it out and my teachers said KCL would accept me. My school focuses on btecs a lot now and the subjects aren't exactly wide.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry about that. I'm doing English Literature, English Language and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and I've checked it out and my teachers said KCL would accept me. My school focuses on bteto concs a lot now and the subjects aren't exactly wide.
    I have checked Warwick and Kings on ucas and online and neither show this OCR so it would be advisable to email them to ensure they accept your qualifications before deciding to apply there

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to **** ex-polys - you'd be better off sending off the money to buy anti-malaria pills in Africa.

Apply for the best university that you can get in to. Higher entry requirements may be daunting at first, but the extra effort and worry put into preparing will be worth it during and after your time at uni. Besides, there's always your insurance choice...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Don't go to **** ex-polys - you'd be better off sending off the money to buy anti-malaria pills in Africa.

Apply for the best university that you can get in to. Higher entry requirements may be daunting at first, but the extra effort and worry put into preparing will be worth it during and after your time at uni. Besides, there's always your insurance choice...
    What shocks me is that how can they justify £9,000 each year for fees when they aren't even acceptable. I'd rather go to the local college. I know I can get into higher places when I work hard and that's what I'm doing. If by any chance I don't, I'll rethink my plans.

ReputationRep:
    What shocks me is that how can they justify £9,000 each year for fees when they aren't even acceptable. I'd rather go to the local college. I know I can get into higher places when I work hard and that's what I'm doing. If by any chance I don't, I'll rethink my plans.
    I fully agree - I would imagine that lesser unis would at least justify their worse reputation, lower standards of teaching and student satisfaction, lack of availability of work experience placements or internships, etc with lower tuition fees, but that's not even the case any more :3
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    I fully agree - I would imagine that lesser unis would at least justify their worse reputation, lower standards of teaching and student satisfaction, lack of availability of work experience placements or internships, etc with lower tuition fees, but that's not even the case any more :3
    It's almost a crime, you'd rather do an apprenticeship which I did consider but nothing is available where I live, it's all business admin which a lot of people apply for. A lot of people warned me off university, saying I should do an apprenticeship but one of my plans, if I had to, is to become a teacher so I definitely need a degree. I just think degrees like media studies shouldn't be available as a lot of people become jobless. I'm not being snobby, it's just that in the long run, you have to think about degrees with good job prospects and what you want out of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.