Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Anything that seems unbalanced/inequitable, abnormal, uncomfortable or unsettling to you and/or to British citizens more generally

You can be a well educated, open minded radical. Heck, I'm probably regarded as a radical myself. The more a Muslim learns of Islamic orthodoxy a la Koran/Hadiths and about the (policies/actions of) Anglo-American establishment, and the more one is exposed to Western (mal)culture, the more they are somewhat naturally inclined to view the West as malevolent and their religious duty, Jihad, as akin to that espoused by the likes of ISIS. If the tables were turned, can we seriously say that we would certainly not form similar views? We cannot

The 'lucky' (subjective) few do. Many of the rest feel lost, hence a steady stream of youngsters ripe for radicalisation. We've touched on this in prior conversations about mixed heritage and loss of sense of self/personal identity a la politics of identity. Being as c.50% of male Muslims are economically inactive, and they often live in relatively closed societies, forbidden from enjoying the vices of the kafir, one must conclude that their enjoyment of our freedoms is rather limited indeed

Indeed so, as per the above

Maajid Nawaz et al. would like us to "control the narrative", but that's very paternalistic, and difficult to achieve, across the board, in a meaningful sense (particularly against the grain of the above understandable hangups)

It's an important part of understanding the psychological and psychosocial factors often at play. Young guys are full of sexual, egotistical, and emotional energy. If they cannot find release/purpose/validation here is it so surprising that they should look elsewhere and be seduced by promise of an arranged bride, a 'fantastic' cause, and the joys of Islamic brotherhood and prospect of a virtuous death a la martyrdom in the name of Allah? It's very potent. Indeed, if you watch the final moments of the Paris Porte de Vincennes supermarket siege, you can see just how potent it is when, instead of massacring hostages, or really trying to maximise police casualties, Amedy Coulibaly opted to rush the infidels for extra martyr points (knowing he would be met by a wall of bullets)
    I did remember telling you about uncomfortable moments I've had with ultra religious friends,telling me to cover up and all that etc so I definitely agree

Spot on! Martydom, slaves which they can have with,young brides and everything else ISIS seems to be promoting to those who feel they are loners and outcasts of society. So many of these men have come to realise the reality and now regret ever joining Isis and returning back home to the UK apparently. I remember the story about the KCL student(s) asking the university to appeal on their behalf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I did remember telling you about uncomfortable moments I've had with ultra religious friends,telling me to cover up and all that etc so I definitely agree
    Good, but I sense that dubious attitudes and behaviour extend right across most of your (male) friends of Eastern origin :borat:

So many of these men have come to realise the reality and now regret ever joining Isis and returning back home to the UK apparently
    Poor, silly fools :rolleyes:

I remember the story about the KCL student(s) asking the university to appeal on their behalf
    Please Miss, character reference?

ReputationRep:
    Good, but I sense that dubious attitudes and behaviour extend right across most of your (male) friends of Eastern origin :borat:

Poor, silly fools :rolleyes:

Please Miss, character reference?
    Aye,I have experienced some awkward moments with my ultra religious male friend :rolleyes:

Omg,have you also heard about the Israeli society being attacked and people had to be evacuated from the university. Apparently people from action Palestine were throwing chairs and smashing windows. because they had a special guest from israel,former head of secret service. Police were called at the scene. What is happening to KCL,a lot has changed since my time there

ReputationRep:
    have you also heard about the Israeli society being attacked and people had to be evacuated from the university. Apparently people from action Palestine were throwing chairs and smashing windows. because they had a special guest from israel, former head of secret service
    Yup. These are people that you acquainted, and to some extent aligned, yourself with. Let this be a moment for humble reflection, my child

What is happening to KCL,a lot has changed since my time there
    In a climate of blanket tolerance + minority communities reach a certain critical mass + there is a catalyst = expect violent reactions. This is a lesson that the West is only just beginning to wake up to. We're in for a very bumpy voyage of discovery on the road ahead :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Yup. These are people that you acquainted, and to some extent aligned, yourself with. Let this be a moment for humble reflection, my child

In a climate of blanket tolerance + minority communities reach a certain critical mass + there is a catalyst = expect violent reactions. This is a lesson that the West is only just beginning to wake up to. We're in for a very bumpy voyage of discovery on the road ahead :erm:
    I don't think all the member of such societies are like that,probably only a few hot headed ones

I don't like the sound of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    You think other religions don't do killings? or are you just that stupid?
    There is no need to insult me personally, is there?

I don't engage with people who are rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Far too presumptuous. Making an anecdotal observation about the ISocs in London does not mean I have a view on the wider issues.
    I know you don't - that's why I'm informing you. Don't you think it's somewhat narrow minded to think that this is so narrow as to societies within University?

ReputationRep:
    Aye,I have experienced some awkward moments with my ultra religious male friend :rolleyes:

Omg,have you also heard about the Israeli society being attacked and people had to be evacuated from the university. Apparently people from action Palestine were throwing chairs and smashing windows. because they had a special guest from israel,former head of secret service. Police were called at the scene. What is happening to KCL,a lot has changed since my time there
    i guess uni Socities mimick life, presumably next the Sunni Society will start attacking the Yemenese soc,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    i guess uni Socities mimick life, presumably next the Sunni Society will start attacking the Yemenese soc,
    Ughh just the thought of a uni having a Salafi society :fuhrer:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Really not surprised by this. The Islamic Societies at some of the London universities are scary!
    They are also extremely well protected from reasonable scepticism, almost like an impenetrable blanket.

Anything we say is considered "Islamophobic", even what I've said above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by le_darkhorse)
    I know you don't - that's why I'm informing you. Don't you think it's somewhat narrow minded to think that this is so narrow as to societies within University?
    Relevance? You're stating something just to state it. Stop digressing from the topic, please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.