Turn on thread page Beta

Uni application terror - How does UCAS work? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a Year 12 student, and I was looking at all the deadlines for applying to uni and stuff, and it suddenly dawned on me that the deadlines are really close, and so are open days.

I'm just kinda surprised at how fast everything has come on.

Specifically looking at Oxford and Cambridge here.

So, the deadline for applications is the 15th of October 2016, and this is earlier than all the other unis. When you apply through UCAS, do you apply to all universities at the same time? Or can you apply to Oxford/Cambridge before their deadlines, but take a little more time for the other unis?

To think that it's all happening so soon. It seemed so distant, but if I want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge I'll have to do it in a mere 200 days. It seems so soon.

So tell me if my way of thinking is correct:

1. Aim for AAA and a Distinction in my AS.
    2. Take exams May-June
    3. Visit unis late June - early July
    4. Receive AS results on 18th of August
    5. Apply to Oxford or Cambridge by 15th of October
    6. Interviews in December
    7. Decision in January?

It's just coming on so fast. And I'm confused about whether you have to apply to all your universities at the same time, which would mean that if you apply to Oxbridge you have less time to consider the other unis?

Is it really as simple as 'get AAA in AS, apply to Oxford/Cambridge'? Is there not anything more to it? Nothing else to consider?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can add extra choices to UCAS after you have already applied to other unis. So if you apply to Oxbridge before the deadline, you can add the other unis anytime before the 15th of January.

Most successful Oxbridge applicants will have very high UMS in their AS exams (think 90+ or 95+).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    Yes you can add extra choices to UCAS after you have already applied to other unis. So if you apply to Oxbridge before the deadline, you can add the other unis anytime before the 15th of January.
    Thanks very much, super helpful.

(Original post by anonwinner)
    Most successful Oxbridge applicants will have very high UMS in their AS exams (think 90+ or 95+).
    Is that average, or above 90 in every subject?

I was thinking that I would only apply if I got an average of over 85 UMS, but should it be higher than that before I consider applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Thanks very much, super helpful.

Is that average, or above 90 in every subject?

I was thinking that I would only apply if I got an average of over 85 UMS, but should it be higher than that before I consider applying?
    Some people with 85+ will still get offers, and even 80+ and 75+ for some subjects.

I think if you get 85+ average and you want to go to Oxford/Cambridge then it's definitely worth applying

ReputationRep:
    It feels like a relatively short time, but it isn't. 200 days is enough time to do a lot of things that can bolster your application and make it far more likely you succeed. One of the most important things to the higher ranked universities is your why for applying. If you can demonstrate a really strong why, you stand in a much stronger position.

What is it that you want to study? If I was in your position, I would make the most of the time I had left and get in a few related work experience placements. Even if they're only a week, or even a day in some cases. It helps you write an incredibly focussed personal statement that many of your competitors just won't have.

I'm only adding this because of how competitive your first choices are. Be prepared to take the steps your peers will not take and then reap the rewards your peers did not sow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott M Harvey)
    It feels like a relatively short time, but it isn't. 200 days is enough time to do a lot of things that can bolster your application and make it far more likely you succeed. One of the most important things to the higher ranked universities is your why for applying. If you can demonstrate a really strong why, you stand in a much stronger position.

What is it that you want to study? If I was in your position, I would make the most of the time I had left and get in a few related work experience placements. Even if they're only a week, or even a day in some cases. It helps you write an incredibly focussed personal statement that many of your competitors just won't have.

I'm only adding this because of how competitive your first choices are. Be prepared to take the steps your peers will not take and then reap the rewards your peers did not sow!
    Awesome advice, I'm hoping to take Law and I have a week of work experience with the Citizens Advice Bureau lined up for June.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.