Alternative Dispute Resolution Watch

Cloudo77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey

I'm having serious trouble with this essay question and I'm wondering if anyone can drop me a hint here. Here the question (sounds easy, is in fact not easy at all)

"Ever since the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, modern dispute resolution processes have had to conform to two fundamental doctrines, namely, the public availability of dispute resolution, and the voluntary nature of dispute resolution.

Please trace in outline the development of those two doctrines, and discuss in detail the extent to which, if at all, it has become possible for these two doctrines to function in relation to each other. Please support your answer by reference to appropriate legal and other sources."

My problem is that there is absolutely no reference, either in the suggested reading, textbooks, academic journals or even google of these two supposedly fundamental doctrines. It seems they exist only in the tutors head? It hasn't been mentioned in any of the seminars, it hasn't been mentioned anywhere. I'm at something of a dead end here with no way to even attempt this essay.

Is anyone remotely familiar with this at all?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Why is the headline alternative dispute resolution an then in the essay quesyion its just written as dispute resolution? One is specific and th other more general.
What course is this from? Did you bother to go to the lecture?
What is your suggested reading?
They gave you no guidance?
Why havent you sought clarification with your lecturer?
Cloudo77
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
wow... err
First: This is the essay question as copy pasted. You ask me why this is the essay question, when the module is Alternative Dispute Resolution? I wish I knew. This however is indeed the essay question.
Second: This is from LLB Law.
Third: There's a weekly 2 hour seminar, of which I have 100% attendance.
Fourth: There's only one book in the suggested reading, and it's Dispute Process: ADR and the Primary Forms of Decision Making (Roberts and Palmer).
Fifth: Thus far no guidance. That's why I'm asking here.
Sixth: I have. He is yet to respond to my email but I'll try to catch him next week in person.
Denisovna
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Whoever you are I am in your ADR class as well and I am also struggling with it. Did you manage to talk to him and if you did, did he tell you anything useful at all ?
Assan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If your prof doesn't reply, I would start with the political, historical, legal and theoretical context behind ADR and specifically the UDHR. Hopefully you'll find some evidence of these doctrines there, if you dig.

What university do you attend?
Denisovna
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
University of Westminster . But the essay question states "trace in outline" the doctrines and in detail their relationship to each other and nothing about UDHR. Plus, it is quite obvious , where the public availability comes from, but I have no clue regarding the voluntary nature. So it is quite confusing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (534)
59.4%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.24%

Watched Threads