bobbydylan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why is ethanol used as a solvent for NaOH to convert haloalkane to Alkene and why is it used to convert haloalkane to a primary amine??
Kamran Fazal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bobbydylan)
Why is ethanol used as a solvent for NaOH to convert haloalkane to Alkene and why is it used to convert haloalkane to a primary amine??
If we use water as a solvent we don't get alkenes we get other products.
bobbydylan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kamran Fazal)
If we use water as a solvent we don't get alkenes we get other products.
But why? That's what I don't really understand is it to do with the solubility in water vs ethanol??
TheEuropean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But why? That's what I don't really understand is it to do with the solubility in water vs ethanol??

Polarity is important for solvents. H2O is polar but alkanes arent for example. Polar dissolves in polar, Non-polar the antithesis if im not mistaken
bobbydylan
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheEuropean)
Polarity is important for solvents. H2O is polar but alkanes arent for example. Polar dissolves in polar, Non-polar the antithesis if im not mistaken
Ok but, for example, NaOH can react with haloalkanes using ethanol or water as a solvent and they form different products with the different solvent. NaOH is very polar so how does this happen?
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok but, for example, NaOH can react with haloalkanes using ethanol or water as a solvent and they form different products with the different solvent. NaOH is very polar so how does this happen?
For a reason I don't know (and don't need to know for AS), the ethanol makes the OH in the NaOH act as a base so it takes a hydrogen from the haloalkane, which then forms an alkene.

If you were to do it with NaOH in water, the OH would act as a nucleophile and just replace the halide.
Kamran Fazal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exactly what rich panda said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads