The Student Room Group

What are the best ways to remember your revision?

The way I revise is just making notes on what I read but I can go over whole chapters in the textbook and when I look back over them I don't remember anything. I sometimes find that if I look at a piece of text and tell myself that I'm going to leave it out, I actually remember it most or if I make a mistake in questions I will remember that but I can't really force mistakes. How can I liven up my revision while also remembering everything??
Test yourself.
Once you've revised a topic, complete as many practise questions as you can and then move onto past papers.
I find for me this is the best way to gain a better overall understanding.
Quizlet!! Play the matching cards game :yep:
Testing yourself is key. Make a list of possible exam questions from the notes and try answer them without looking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write your notes in different colours.
Create short audio clips on your phone and then listen to them on your way to school.

:h:
Original post by Peneps
The way I revise is just making notes on what I read but I can go over whole chapters in the textbook and when I look back over them I don't remember anything.

Same thing with me. I find that making notes is pointless because it's just mechanical copying. I just read the book, and take a long time on each section to memorise it.

Some nifty tricks though. Try creating acronyms for the different sections. I find it's pretty helpful for me. I can remember the whole chapter of the Judiciary in Politics through just the acronyms:

SRJE
IHI
SAI
CC
SCAT
GOV
PUICOL
SDF

Try also linking ideas with random things in your head. For example, I always imagine the Russian Kornilov Affair of August 1917 as that Rainier Wolfcastle guy from The Simpsons running at me with a knife and a crazed expression, whilst shouting 'I'm going to protect you! I'm going to protect you!' in his heavy accent. Embarrassing and very odd, but it gets the job done. :tongue:

Also, try using physical prompts. For example, I can jog my memory by physically pointing in the air at different parts of an imaginary spider diagram to remember what the specific points were.
Reply 6
Original post by harmony_x
Test yourself.
Once you've revised a topic, complete as many practise questions as you can and then move onto past papers.
I find for me this is the best way to gain a better overall understanding.

I definitely find it easier to recall the information in an exam if I actually understand it but it takes ageeees to get a good understanding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending