Turn on thread page Beta

What are the best ways to remember your revision? watch

ReputationRep:
    The way I revise is just making notes on what I read but I can go over whole chapters in the textbook and when I look back over them I don't remember anything. I sometimes find that if I look at a piece of text and tell myself that I'm going to leave it out, I actually remember it most or if I make a mistake in questions I will remember that but I can't really force mistakes. How can I liven up my revision while also remembering everything??

ReputationRep:
    Test yourself.
    Once you've revised a topic, complete as many practise questions as you can and then move onto past papers.
    I find for me this is the best way to gain a better overall understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Quizlet!! Play the matching cards game :yep:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Testing yourself is key. Make a list of possible exam questions from the notes and try answer them without looking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Write your notes in different colours.
    Create short audio clips on your phone and then listen to them on your way to school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peneps)
    The way I revise is just making notes on what I read but I can go over whole chapters in the textbook and when I look back over them I don't remember anything.
    Same thing with me. I find that making notes is pointless because it's just mechanical copying. I just read the book, and take a long time on each section to memorise it.

Some nifty tricks though. Try creating acronyms for the different sections. I find it's pretty helpful for me. I can remember the whole chapter of the Judiciary in Politics through just the acronyms:

SRJE
    IHI
    SAI
    CC
    SCAT
    GOV
    PUICOL
    SDF

Try also linking ideas with random things in your head. For example, I always imagine the Russian Kornilov Affair of August 1917 as that Rainier Wolfcastle guy from The Simpsons running at me with a knife and a crazed expression, whilst shouting 'I'm going to protect you! I'm going to protect you!' in his heavy accent. Embarrassing and very odd, but it gets the job done.

Also, try using physical prompts. For example, I can jog my memory by physically pointing in the air at different parts of an imaginary spider diagram to remember what the specific points were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harmony_x)
    Test yourself.
    Once you've revised a topic, complete as many practise questions as you can and then move onto past papers.
    I find for me this is the best way to gain a better overall understanding.
    I definitely find it easier to recall the information in an exam if I actually understand it but it takes ageeees to get a good understanding

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.