Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    lucky yeh wont have to work till 65 to get access to it.
    I think mine is 55, although ive not really checked. The plan has always been to have sufficient non-pension investments to cover the gap from 40s-55 or whenever the pension age is.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    23 and about £8k. About a third of that I've saved since October as I currently have a decent and stable income.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I think mine is 55, although ive not really checked. The plan has always been to have sufficient non-pension investments to cover the gap from 40s-55 or whenever the pension age is.
    thats great if it works for your company but I think in the likes of nhs if yeh leave before 65 you dont get the pension.

so youd be covering the gap from 40s-95

ReputationRep:
    thats great if it works for your company but I think in the likes of nhs if yeh leave before 65 you dont get the pension.
    You think wrong

If you leave before the pension age then the amount you receive is reduced based upon your number of contributing years. You cant just lose a pension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    You think wrong

If you leave before the pension age then the amount you receive is reduced based upon your number of contributing years. You cant just lose a pension.
    Under the HSE Scheme all new hires** joining the Scheme have; A minimum retirement age of 65 years. No compulsory retirement age (subject to suitability and health requirements). A minimum of 2 years' service is required for eligibility for benefits (no minimum service is required however for death in service benefit).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    im 18, my dad and grandma saved around 12k for me, since i turned 18 i got a job and saved around six grand. so 18k.
    y helo :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    I invested all my savings in books, so I have many pages of wealth but zero savings in money.

Good luck to you suckers when the banks crash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    y helo :flutter:
    haha am not touching any of that, its for my future and stuff. mortgage and kids education lol

I'm 20, I have an account with +20 000€ from my dad, and an other with around 15 000€ from my grandma, and an other with 10 000€ I get from insurances after an accident

For your age it's a really good start !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    haha am not touching any of that, its for my future and stuff. mortgage and kids education lol
    le sigh :pierre:

you are so sensible.

ReputationRep:
    Im 17, i think i have about £400 saved

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Under the HSE Scheme all new hires** joining the Scheme have; A minimum retirement age of 65 years. No compulsory retirement age (subject to suitability and health requirements). A minimum of 2 years' service is required for eligibility for benefits (no minimum service is required however for death in service benefit).
    Yes, that means you cannot begin to claim from the scheme until you are 65. It doesn't mean you have to work with them, or work at all, until you are 65.

ReputationRep:
    £0 -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Yes, that means you cannot begin to claim from the scheme until you are 65. It doesn't mean you have to work with them, or work at all, until you are 65.
    wow very interesting. wasnt aware. cheers for the clarification!!

ReputationRep:
    £25
    I really need to get a job this summer😴

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    x
    Do the new personal saving allowances help/hinder you in your circumstances?

Probably a lot of people who were higher rate earnings who had 20% interest deducted at source but then didn't bother to declare the other 40% whereas the new rules probably mean fewer are likely to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Do the new personal saving allowances help/hinder you in your circumstances?

Probably a lot of people who were higher rate earnings who had 20% interest deducted at source but then didn't bother to declare the other 40% whereas the new rules probably mean fewer are likely to do that?
    Makes no difference to me, I dont keep large amounts of cash savings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Makes no difference to me, I dont keep large amounts of cash savings.
    Yea I probably just need to re-think what I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    Im 24 and ive saved about £35,000

ReputationRep:
    20- £0 personal cash but if i count the stuff below (just moved my last cash to my buy account for my business )

my investments
    a krugerrand ( set as a pendant on a chain) £1200
    5 half sovereigns (set in rings) £1,000
    2 full sovereigns (set as cufflinks) £500

my inheritence
    three precious metal statues £15,000
    two precious paperweights- £1200

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.