Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to pay my tuition fees upfront for a 2nd degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncaaaaaan)
    Do I have to pay my tuition fees upfront for a 2nd degree?
    It's up to each uni, so you need to ask the uni(s) you're considering.

As an example, my current uni offers payment in two stages each academic year. The first is up front at the start of the first term. The second is due when term starts in the New Year.

ReputationRep:
    Says for Birmingham graduate law programme:

"Please note: If you are a Home or EU student who has already completed a previous undergraduate programme of study from anywhere in the world that is equivalent to or higher than the second course that they are studying you will be classed as an Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) student. As an ELQ student you will not be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant or the University’s Chamberlain Award."

So, no tuition fee loan, does that mean I have to pay up front?

ReputationRep:

"Please note: If you are a Home or EU student who has already completed a previous undergraduate programme of study from anywhere in the world that is equivalent to or higher than the second course that they are studying you will be classed as an Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) student. As an ELQ student you will not be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant or the University’s Chamberlain Award."

Each uni can set its own rules, so you need to ask Birmingham. Generally I would expect to pay at least one tuition fee instalment up front, but that's only speaking from my experience. I self-funded my first undergrad degree year and I wasn't permitted to enrol at the start of the first term, until they'd had my first fee instalment.

The only way for you to know, is to ask Birmingham.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

It means you have to pay in the same way the other undergrads pay as the fees fall due. the point is making is the finance has to come from you and not SFE.

Why are you doing an undergrad law degree as a 2nd degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It means you have to pay in the same way the other undergrads pay as the fees fall due. the point is making is the finance has to come from you and not SFE.

Why are you doing an undergrad law degree as a 2nd degree?
    Yeah I know what they're saying is, I'm going to have to fund this by myself, I was just wondering if it still has to be upfront payment from me or if it can be a debt to pay after graduating.

I'm doing LLB law graduate entry because my previous degree is really useless.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yeah I know what they're saying is, I'm going to have to fund this by myself, I was just wondering if it still has to be upfront payment from me or if it can be a debt to pay after graduating.

I'm doing LLB law graduate entry because my previous degree is really useless.
    Unis are paid up front. the only difference being for your first you had the SFE to pay it for you.

If you got a 2:1 then consider doing the GDL if you wnat to be a lawyer, that would be cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if it still has to be upfront payment from me or if it can be a debt to pay after graduating.
    There is zero chance of you doing an entire degree without paying anything to the uni until after you graduate.

Even students funded by SF will start to get direct fee payment requests around the end of the first term, if their SF is delayed.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, there must be some way to fund this then.

I need to somehow make or borrow £18000.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    OU would be cheaper. But yeah. the advice above is right - if you're self funding, the uni tends to set their own rules. They should be able to advise you.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Career development loan might get you part of the way.

ReputationRep:
    They are making it possible to qualify for student finance for a second degree, but I believe that is in STEM subjects like computer science (as indicated here), as well as making PG loans available (expect prices to shoot up further.)

For the LLB, is it an accelerated 2 year LLB? You could also do the GDL but if your academics are not particularly good to date, consider the fact that the better of the law firms are highly selective and will look into your entire past academic/career history.

Are you sure you really want to do law? You'd have greater funding opportunities for STEM subjects, and depending on subject, these can get you pretty good jobs. Also bear in mind, if you're studying full time, you have to factor in living costs.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its not Stem and its not a postgrad degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I qualified my response on that basis. Hence why I asked if you really have put in much research into going into law, because it's a lot of upfront investment for a highly competitive field.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    Yeah, I qualified my response on that basis. Hence why I asked if you really have put in much research into going into law, because it's a lot of upfront investment for a highly competitive field.
    Yes sorry if you felt I was short. i tend to wnat the OP to focus and get it into his mind what hes taking on. The GDL would be a cheaper solution if he has a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    I confused you for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Career development loan might get you part of the way.
    You can't get CDL for an undergrad degree. You can only get it for courses which have no other sources of funding . As undergrad degrees are funded by SF, you won't get a CDL for one - even if you don't qualify for SF.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, there must be some way to fund this then.

I need to somehow make or borrow £18000.
    Short of working / saving over a few years or borrowing from a sympathetic relative, there's no way that I've come across after a few years of watching this discussion forum. The SF system will support you for one degree, but you're on your own after that.

It took me 23 years to save the money to have a second attempt at uni. I couldn't start to save in earnest until I'd paid off the mortgage.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Klix88)
    You can't get CDL for an undergrad degree. You can only get it for courses which have no other sources of funding . As undergrad degrees are funded by SF, you won't get a CDL for one - even if you don't qualify for SF.
    On the guidance it just says for the first one this would be his second.
    They have a register anyway and he can check if the course was eligible on there.
    There are several accelerated 2 year LLB's.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.