Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand how Rutherford's gold foil experiment proved that a positive nucleus existed, but I don't get why prior to this discovery they expected all of the alpha particles to pass straight through. The plum pudding model said there was electrons in a sea of positive charge, so wouldn't they expect all alpha particles to be repelled backwards as like charges repel and the alpha particles were positively charged??? Why would they expect them to pass through if they didn't know the atom was mostly empty space??? Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayjb)
    I understand how Rutherford's gold foil experiment proved that a positive nucleus existed, but I don't get why prior to this discovery they expected all of the alpha particles to pass straight through. The plum pudding model said there was electrons in a sea of positive charge, so wouldn't they expect all alpha particles to be repelled backwards as like charges repel and the alpha particles were positively charged??? Why would they expect them to pass through if they didn't know the atom was mostly empty space??? Thanks for any help!
    I thought that the fact that they passed through was unexpected? Or maybe Rutherford's theory was something about empty space, and this proved it? I'm not really sure, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is the fact that only some were repelled showed that most of the atom is empty space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_Girl)
    I thought that the fact that they passed through was unexpected? Or maybe Rutherford's theory was something about empty space, and this proved it? I'm not really sure, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks for the help anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    I believe it is the fact that only some were repelled showed that most of the atom is empty space.
    ok thanks!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    If the plum pudding model was correct, then the charge would be evenly spread, so no reflection would occur. When some of the alpha particles bounced back, Rutherford described it as 'it was as shocking as if you fired a 15 inch naval shell at tissue paper and it bounced back'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.