Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Justification of Sources?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

For my EPQ i have to write section explaining the sources i used and why i used them.

I am struggling quite a bit with this part so can someone PLEASE help me?

Textbooks - Why are they reliable and valid sources of information
    Websites - Why are they reliable and valid sources of information
    Journal Articles - Why are they reliable and valid sources of Information

If someone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixthForm007)
    Hi Guys,

For my EPQ i have to write section explaining the sources i used and why i used them.

I am struggling quite a bit with this part so can someone PLEASE help me?

Textbooks - Why are they reliable and valid sources of information
    Websites - Why are they reliable and valid sources of information
    Journal Articles - Why are they reliable and valid sources of Information

If someone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong section
    I think that the only reasons you find this hard are because a) it's quite boring, b) you're thinking too much into it. All you have to do is take a step back and ask yourself as simply as possible why you ended up using the sources in the first place.

For example (don't necessarily use/copy this):

Textbooks have a lot of information all in the same place written by qualified authors/experts on the subjects. They are reliable because usually many authors contribute to them and they are looked over by a group of editors before print. They are valid because of the expert knowledge the authors have on the subject.

Websites are reliable as they can be seen by many people and criticised more easily if they contain unfactual information. They are valid because there is an organisation, author and date attached to each article so you should be able to trust it if these three pieces of information are very relevant.

Journals are very reliable as they are part of an academic community which review the articles very regularly and so can always be checked if other experts agree with it. They are valid because the author is very interested in the topic and has submitted it to a pool of experts so must make sure it is of good quality.

Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.