AQA MS1B Wednesday 8th June 2016 Exam Discussion Thread Watch

Dapperblook22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
AQA Statistics 1B Exam Discussion June 2016
This thread will be for anyone taking the AQA Statistics 1B exam, with the purpose of this thread to share revision tips, resouces and provide general help with the MS1B paper.
Resources
AQA Past Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...d-mark-schemes
AQA Legacy Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/older-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
ExamSolutions: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/AQA/period-1/specification.php
Good luck with the exam, any questions feel free to share them within this thread
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for making this thread OP! I've added it to the Exam Directory Thread which you can find here. Use that thread to find discussions on your other exam papers, and do let me know if you spot any that aren't on the list. Good luck with this exam!
Guls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dapperblook22)
AQA Statistics 1B Exam Discussion June 2016
This thread will be for anyone taking the AQA Statistics 1B exam, with the purpose of this thread to share revision tips, resouces and provide general help with the MS1B paper.
Resources
AQA Past Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...d-mark-schemes
AQA Legacy Papers: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/older-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
ExamSolutions: http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/AQA/period-1/specification.php
Good luck with the exam, any questions feel free to share them within this thread
thanks for the post. hopefully more people will use more of this thread. What are "hardest" topics.
mattyt307
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not too confident about this exam. Has anyone got any tips for normal distributions because I kinda just guess when i have to do 1 - the probability to get the answer. So if anyone could put like a list of the situations in which i need to do 1 - my answer then i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
xs4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mattyt307)
I'm not too confident about this exam. Has anyone got any tips for normal distributions because I kinda just guess when i have to do 1 - the probability to get the answer. So if anyone could put like a list of the situations in which i need to do 1 - my answer then i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
You only usually have to do that if p(z<x) [where x is less than the population mean] as at that point you will be looking at the left side of the bell curve. The tables don't state these values therefore you have to think of it as the equivalent of p(z>-x) and go from there -> 1-p(z<-x)

Another instance could be if you're looking at a situation where you have p(z>x) [where x is greater than the population mean] as you will need to do 1-p(z<x) to get your value.
mattyt307
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xs4)
You only usually have to do that if p(z<x) [where x is less than the population mean] as at that point you will be looking at the left side of the bell curve. The tables don't state these values therefore you have to think of it as the equivalent of p(z>-x) and go from there -> 1-p(z<-x)

Another instance could be if you're looking at a situation where you have p(z>x) [where x is greater than the population mean] as you will need to do 1-p(z<x) to get your value.
That helps a lot, thank you!
xs4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mattyt307)
That helps a lot, thank you!
No problem! feel free to pm me if you have any problems
mattyt307
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xs4)
No problem! feel free to pm me if you have any problems
Will do!
Berke0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I hate this module so much
Guls
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Berke0)
I hate this module so much
secretly we all do but... who doesnt want that sweet as A on results day
Berke0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Guls)
secretly we all do but... who doesnt want that sweet as A on results day

We all do. Any tips how best to study this ?
Guls
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Berke0)
We all do. Any tips how best to study this ?
main tip exam papers. take time when doing questions.
if you feel you could be doing better in past papers then isolate your weak topic and practise on that through a series of notes, youtube videos and topic questions.
then return to past papers.

carry on the cycle.
Nai18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With regards to confidence intervals, there's a question where it asks to comment on claims (given in question) but I always seem to get half the marks. How do I answer these sort of questions?
-jordan-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nai18)
With regards to confidence intervals, there's a question where it asks to comment on claims (given in question) but I always seem to get half the marks. How do I answer these sort of questions?
If you mean when it asks to make two comments, you make one comparing the value and the confidence interval (State specifically whether it's above or below). Then compare the value to the data you are given, or to the mean. And then say what it suggests. They can contradict each other.
RickyMaz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Opinions on the hardest MS1B paper? What have you guys come across?
Dapperblook22
Rep:
?
(Original post by RickyMaz)
Opinions on the hardest MS1B paper? What have you guys come across?
The consensus in my class is that June 2013 is the most difficult, it may be different for different classes.
Dapperblook22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guls)
thanks for the post. hopefully more people will use more of this thread. What are "hardest" topics.
Sorry for late reply, I have been busy with revising for this exam

I personally find probability to be quite nasty when it is not given in a table, as I sometimes mess up interpreting the textual descriptions (i.e. assuming events are independent rather than conditional/dependent)
money-for-all
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do we have to show working out for s1 ? or can you just show the answer ? becuase we have graphical calculators
Pentaquark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aiming for full ums in stats seeing as I won't get it in c1 or c2 lol
To give some people some hope, I knew zero stats before I spent a day making notes from the textbook.
I managed to get full UMS on the 2015 paper (dropped 4 marks) From then on I realised stats isn't too bad haha
I hate stats with a passion but its free marks if you know what to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads