Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I made a mistake on an AQA GCSE English Literature Paper this summer and I am worried how serious it is.

On one question I had to compare 3 poems, and one of the poems had to be a pre-20th century poem. In the heat of the moment I chose 3 poems but did not include a pre-20th century poem!

I told my English teacher after the exam who told me that it may not be such a problem. I got full marks in the coursework which counts to 30% of the grade, and in the paper there were 2 questions each worth 35%. The one I cocked up is therefore worth 35%. My teacher believed I should get a high-end A* before I made this mistake - but now seems to think I will either go down to a low-end A* or an A. That drop in marks seems too minimal to me - I expected much worse.

If I got full marks in coursework, I have 30% in the bag, and I think I did my best in the first question worth 35%, and what I wrote for the 3 poems I chose was my best (without a pre-20th century poem though) English Literature is the subject I pride myself in - how serious does this problem sound to you???

(ps - I'm a god damn perfectionist and I see less than an A as a failure - I wish I wasn't like that but my teachers have led me to believe this)

ReputationRep:
    well if u r a percectionist wat eva hapens wont be good enough discuss it with your teachers as they wud know best,i m sure u can appeal the mark if u think it isnt fair but remember if u made a mistake on the day u can only blame urself. lots of people hav made mistakes on exam papers but thats y they tell u to read the question properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I made a mistake on an AQA GCSE English Literature Paper this summer and I am worried how serious it is.

On one question I had to compare 3 poems, and one of the poems had to be a pre-20th century poem. In the heat of the moment I chose 3 poems but did not include a pre-20th century poem!

I told my English teacher after the exam who told me that it may not be such a problem. I got full marks in the coursework which counts to 30% of the grade, and in the paper there were 2 questions each worth 35%. The one I cocked up is therefore worth 35%. My teacher believed I should get a high-end A* before I made this mistake - but now seems to think I will either go down to a low-end A* or an A. That drop in marks seems too minimal to me - I expected much worse.

If I got full marks in coursework, I have 30% in the bag, and I think I did my best in the first question worth 35%, and what I wrote for the 3 poems I chose was my best (without a pre-20th century poem though) English Literature is the subject I pride myself in - how serious does this problem sound to you???

(ps - I'm a god damn perfectionist and I see less than an A as a failure - I wish I wasn't like that but my teachers have led me to believe this)
    Just hope there was a question in the post-20th century section that was identical to the question you answered in the pre-20th section without using a pre-20th poem, if that is the case, then you'll just confuse the marker by giving the wrong question number ! Otherwise you may have some problems... Good Luck.

I really hate saying this but my English teacher told us that if you fail to write about a pre-20th Century poem you automatically lose half-marks for that question.

I dont know if this is actually true or she said it to "scare" us into making sure we included it in our answer, although she definately made a big point about it.

Your coursework marks are excellent and im sure you did very well on the other question in the lit exam to get an A* or A.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I really hate saying this but my English teacher told us that if you fail to write about a pre-20th Century poem you automatically lose half-marks for that question.

I dont know if this is actually true or she said it to "scare" us into making sure we included it in our answer, although she definately made a big point about it.

Your coursework marks are excellent and im sure you did very well on the other question in the lit exam to get an A* or A.

Good Luck!
    To be honest I agree here and I think you can only get a maximum of half marks for that question but if you've done ok in the others and your coursewok is 100% then you should still come out with an A or B. Dont' worry if you've done worse, while it may seem dissapointing now in a few years you'll realise that it doesn't matter especially if your english mark is good. Just remember this for your As levels and read the question properly. Good luck for you results next week.

ReputationRep:
    Last year a girl did the OCR GCSE English Lit paper and said she had mucked it up. Basically it is a huge booklet they give you and she turned to the contents page for the poetry section thinking it was the poetry section questions. The poetry section consists of 3 questions (I think - I might be a bit off because my memory isn't brilliant ), all different and all different poems. The contents page lists all the poems included in the questions.

She basically picked from the list of poems on the contents page two prefered poems and went on to compare them. This was a major mistake and she was really upset (bawled her eyes out for ages).

She got an A*, went on to study english lit at AS level and plans to do it at A2.

Don't fret, there are many other contributing factors already mentioned by others. You'll probably be surprised come results day.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.