Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely get a lot of hate for this post, but I am very curious of something.

We all know (or at least we should know) that climate change is real and fossil fuel is one of the reasons why it is happening.

This being said, why are many engineering graduates still willing to go work in the petroleum industry and see it as the most amazing job possible or as being really successful if you get to work in this industry? Are people really that obsessed with earning a lot of money at the expense of increasing the effects of climate change?

I really want to see some reasonable answers instead of hate, as I am really curious.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Because it pays a lot of money and without those engineers you'd end up with the effects of O&G on climate change being even worse than they are, a lot of their work is on minimising environmental effects.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LoBos)
    I will definitely get a lot of hate for this post, but I am very curious of something.

We all know (or at least we should know) that climate change is real and fossil fuel is one of the reasons why it is happening.

This being said, why are many engineering graduates still willing to go work in the petroleum industry and see it as the most amazing job possible or as being really successful if you get to work in this industry? Are people really that obsessed with earning a lot of money at the expense of increasing the effects of climate change?

I really want to see some reasonable answers instead of hate, as I am really curious.
    The short answer is because it pays good money. Being in oil & gas does not mean that you are any more successful than someone else in another industry or a better engineer, but it does mean that you are probably getting paid better, sometimes quite substantially.

Besides, where are the engineering jobs related to climate change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoBos)

People still want to work in O&G because it still pays well. What the same herd don't realise is that it is an extremely short-sighted move. Sure, you can move into another industry if your company tanks, but wouldnt it be wiser to go to the more future-proof industry to begin with? When I was looking for jobs, I ignored everything O&G.

If you actually want to make a difference and work within "clean energy", I would without doubt recommend an electrical engineering degree. You will have endless options with such a degree in your pocket.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.