Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20160326_131438-1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  151.4 KBAttachment 515631515633

Struggling with part b, I've done a few attempts and my answer keeps coming out kind of weird..
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by creativebuzz)

Struggling with part b, I've done a few attempts and my answer keeps coming out kind of weird..
    3 points:

1) The matrix you used in your working isn't P, or its inverse.
    2) Question mentions being transformed by "A". But there is no A: Presumably this is meant to be P
    3) You're given the image after transformation, \Pi_2, and need to find what is transformed into that. So, you need the inverse matrix.

ReputationRep:

You're using the wrong matrix. You want to go from the transformed plane to the initial plane, so you need to use the inverse matrix; but you also know P is orthogonal, so the inverse P is the transpose of P - also you seem to be multiplying your matrices out wrong, might want to get that sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    3 points:

1) The matrix you used in your working isn't P, or its inverse.
    2) Question mentions being transformed by "A". But there is no A: Presumably this is meant to be P
    3) You're given the image after transformation, \Pi_2, and need to find what is transformed into that. So, you need the inverse matrix.
    I was trying to do the same method as you suggested but for some reason I mixed my P matrix up :P Anyway, I've tried the question and this is what I got

Name:  WIN_20160326_151836.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  63.3 KB

How can I take my answer further (unless I've gone wrong somewhere)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You're using the wrong matrix. You want to go from the transformed plane to the initial plane, so you need to use the inverse matrix; but you also know P is orthogonal, so the inverse P is the transpose of P - also you seem to be multiplying your matrices out wrong, might want to get that sorted.
    Not to be a bother but I responded to the vector question we were talking about yesterday http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post63646553

ReputationRep:
    Not to be a bother but I responded to the vector question we were talking about yesterday http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post63646553
    Sorry, didn't see it, just replied to it.

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to do the same method as you suggested but for some reason I mixed my P matrix up :P Anyway, I've tried the question and this is what I got

Name:  WIN_20160326_151836.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  63.3 KB

How can I take my answer further (unless I've gone wrong somewhere)?
    Your answer is perfectly correct! Now you just need to state that the plane is y=0 and you are done, as x and z can take any values.

ReputationRep:
    Your answer is perfectly correct! Now you just need to state that the plane is y=0 and you are done, as x and z can take any values.
    Yeah that's the part that lost me! If the question says that the plane is tranformed into another plane surely my answer needs to be in the form of a plane! Also the mark scheme has a different z and x to me but the same y=0 (instead Attachment 515665515667
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the part that lost me! If the question says that the plane is tranformed into another plane surely my answer needs to be in the form of a plane! Also the mark scheme has a different z and x to me but the same y=0 (instead
    Think about this: the Cartesian plane you're used to (x-y axes) is just the plane z=0, then x,y can take any values you'd like in this plane.

In this case - we have the plane y=0 and x, z can take any values since I can choose any s,t. So the plane is y=0.

ReputationRep:
    Think about this: the Cartesian plane you're used to (x-y axes) is just the plane z=0, then x,y can take any values you'd like in this plane.

In this case - we have the plane y=0 and x, z can take any values since I can choose any s,t. So the plane is y=0.
    Oh right, I see!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Also the mark scheme has a different z and x to me but the same y=0 (instead
    I suspect you used a different parameterization to the markscheme - which is fine. Can't tell as you've not posted that bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I suspect you used a different parametization to the markscheme - which is fine. Can't tell as you've not posted that bit.
    Yeah I let x = s, z = t but they mark scheme let y = t instead of z = t!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I let x = s, z = t but they mark scheme let y = t instead of z = t!
    Yeah, that makes 0 difference and yours is just as valid.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that makes 0 difference and yours is just as valid.
    Awesome, thanks!

By the way, have you done M2? Because I can't seem to get this M2 Centre of Mass question correct. I thought all you had to do is 2rsinx/3x which is 12sin60/60 = root3/10 but my answer is incorrect

Name:  m2.png
Views: 72
Size:  25.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks!

By the way, have you done M2? Because I can't seem to get this M2 Centre of Mass question correct. I thought all you had to do is 2rsinx/3x which is 12sin60/60 = root3/10 but my answer is incorrect

Name:  m2.png
Views: 72
Size:  25.8 KB
    It's a framework not a uniform lamina.

ReputationRep:
    It's a framework not a uniform lamina.

Got the answer now thanks!
    Would you mind spotting where I went wrong on this one

Name:  WIN_20160327_200206.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  83.4 KBAttachment 515943515945
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Got the answer now thanks!
    Would you mind spotting where I went wrong on this one
    You should best make a new thread for it, a cursory glance doesn't reveal the error and I don't have time for it right now, so hopefully somebody else will!

Sorry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.