Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ever felt so depressed you can't even fake a smile...? Watch

Even though I'm not around people i can't even smile. I feel like i'm faking my depression. I heard my mum crying this morning and there was nothing I could do to help. I'm doing crap at my placement - which may result in me failing uni. I've put on a full stone of weight i feel so fat and ugly. I don't have any friends to talk to because i keep pushing people away. I didn't attend my little brothers 18th party yesterday because it just seemed like too much effort and i was feeling down. I'm 21 and my mum hit me but i wouldn't move out because she is nice 90% of the time to me. I miss our extended family who we don't see much of now due to family arguments. I just wish i could be in a better place right now. What is life? I want to be a kid and be happy again playing outside and not having to worry about a thing

ReputationRep:
    Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Even though I'm not around people i can't even smile. I feel like i'm faking my depression. I heard my mum crying this morning and there was nothing I could do to help. I'm doing crap at my placement - which may result in me failing uni. I've put on a full stone of weight i feel so fat and ugly. I don't have any friends to talk to because i keep pushing people away. I didn't attend my little brothers 18th party yesterday because it just seemed like too much effort and i was feeling down. I'm 21 and my mum hit me but i wouldn't move out because she is nice 90% of the time to me. I miss our extended family who we don't see much of now due to family arguments. I just wish i could be in a better place right now. What is life? I want to be a kid and be happy again playing outside and not having to worry about a thing
    Hi please go to your G.P. and tell someone in you're family/friends that you are depressed.

I have been to my G.P for depression and you can PM me if you want, but pleae please please tell some one you trust about your depression.

ReputationRep:
    everyone feels like that at at some point
    you just gotta look after yourself and do the best you can
    speak to someone about it though, any one , just let it all out

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP, see if you should be on anti-depressants.

I was very depressed in January and medication helped a lot. Off it now.
    As hard as it might be, try and eat healthily and get exercise.

EDIT: Tell someone you can trust to be sensitive and supportive, like Nununu said ^.

(Original post by z33)
    I love this song xx
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thats the nature of depression, sometimes life can be rough.

1. Go and see the GP.
    2. Talking to a friend helps or a stranger if not.
    3. Managing to get out helps or undertaking an activity, bolunteer for soemthing.
    4. looking after yourself, music, baths, rea book, box sets, eating and sleeping properly.
    5. Exercise helps- losing weight is straightforward and cna give you soemthing else to focus on.
    6. Sort out your placment.
    7. Be nice to your mum.

(Original post by Nununu)
    Hi please go to your G.P. and tell someone in you're family/friends that you are depressed.

I have been to my G.P for depression and you can PM me if you want, but pleae please please tell some one you trust about your depression.
    i can't tell anyone about it no one takes me seriously not even myself. I tried writing it all down once on paper about how i felt and i was going to go to the GP to show him how i felt but the whole thing seemed so ridiculously stupid that i don't ever want to go. I genuinely feel like i have no one to tell.

(Original post by Sampaa)
    Go to your GP, see if you should be on anti-depressants.

I was very depressed in January and medication helped a lot. Off it now.
    As hard as it might be, try and eat healthily and get exercise.

EDIT: Tell someone you can trust to be sensitive and supportive, like Nununu said ^.
    I wouldn't be able to tell my GP and i really don't feel like i have anyone to talk about it too

ReputationRep:
    I was in my peak depression during end of summer and last year's winter. I didn't go to the GP mainly because I knew I could handle it. And also I didn't wanted to depend on medicine, I knew I could control my emotions and happiness. It was SUPER hard and everyday was a struggle. However, I talked to my friends and siblings. I basically got out of it since I reduced, in fact, blocked all the contact with negative energy. I just tried to live in the present and enjoy myself without caring what others think. Why? Cos at the end of the day, no one really cared about my feelings so I knew no matter what I did, nothing would be good enough for them to appreciate me. Hence, I started to live my life without thinking or considering the negative energy.

At the end of the day, my advice would to yes, go to GP if its extremely bad. And just always do something new, no matter what, go out and about, you'll be shocked to see how positive you'll become.

ReputationRep:
    i can't tell anyone about it no one takes me seriously not even myself. I tried writing it all down once on paper about how i felt and i was going to go to the GP to show him how i felt but the whole thing seemed so ridiculously stupid that i don't ever want to go. I genuinely feel like i have no one to tell.
    Just gotta take that leap. Go and see the GP it'll be the best thing for you.
    Next step is telling someone that you're close to.

ReputationRep:
    I suffered from severe depression as a teenager and ended up a lot worse off because I refused help. I was in denial that there was anything wrong. At least you've made the first step towards recovery- being honest to us about it.

ReputationRep:
    It might seem ridiculously stupid to you, but that's just another of depression's lies. Your life is important and what you're experiencing right now isn't what your life should be like. Write it all down again, if you don't still have the piece of paper from before, and please visit your GP. I'm not saying that your GP has the power to magically make your life okay, but he or she will be able to point you in the direction of support. Place a priority on your mental health and wellbeing, and like people have said above try and look after yourself by doing things you enjoy. I know that sometimes it feels like you can't enjoy anything, but you can start small by listening to a song you like or watching 5 minutes of a TV show. Depression can make it difficult to remember how to begin something, or make you feel as though you don't want to do something, so the more you remind yourself that you can do things and enjoy them the better you should start to feel.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Your GP will listen but they cnat help if they dont know. If its having an effect on you then what you feel does matter.

Accept you arent thinking right at the moment, so you cant see things clearly.

If you wont go to your GP then either read this leaflet from MIND
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s...9#.VvaaGHqkx9M

Which has got self help in it

or find your local branch
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

You need to start looking after yourself.

When going through hard times its important to speak to others, who you can trust won't judge you.
    When i was in really dark place and after losing some family members suddenly i felt lost and i didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.
    I managed to watch some videos online to encourage me and i went to a church seeking an answer as to why life was like this,
    i ended up giving my life to Christ and although i still struggled for months, great things started happening which i would never have expected , through help and support and knowing that God loves me and all things work out for my good, things started to get better and I have such peace now and I'm in a much better way living with a purpose.

I know it can sound ridiculously hard but sometimes you have to let go of past things that hurt and weigh you down that you can't change. Think more positively about what you do have and have hope.

This video helped to change my life
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeatAQ-o9KE

(Original post by z33)
    Love this song. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Never been depressed, I get blood tests from my GP twice a year to make sure everything's good and within the healthy limits.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm getting to that stage right now

Every damn day! Sometimes i drive really fast in the hope that i'll crash and not survive, but it results in damage to my car.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.