Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying Hospitality with Events Management, an industry I have been since I was 14 from starting a young apprenticeship. I'm in my second year which is a placement year, but I'm really struggling.

When I first started I had a serious battle with physical ability having not worked full time before, and I was considering quitting and doing an office job instead. My managers and family convinced me to stick it out because I would get better at being on my feet. Admittedly my stamina is a lot better now but I still do struggle. Despite this, I've always had the thought in the back of my head that maybe I am better off in an office job, like admin. I'm organised, I love sorting through paperwork and I love talking to people, whether that be over the phone or in person.

I'm really not happy with where I am or what I'm doing at the moment, and I'm seriously considering quitting. I don't have a social life, I'm always exhausted, I don't have any friends and I barely see my partner.

With me being 8 months into my placement year and already done a year at university, what would people recommend? Is it too late to drop out and have a complete change of career?

ReputationRep:
    Another question, is there anyone that dropped out of university that is now successful? Do employers actually care about a level of education or is experience more desired?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach210496)
    Another question, is there anyone that dropped out of university that is now successful? Do employers actually care about a level of education or is experience more desired?
    Hey you should check out 7cups.com (7cups of tea) You can ask a 'listener' on there and talk to people who can support you xx

ReputationRep:
    you need to think through a few things... firstly, if you drop out in year 2 then you can't do a different degree at a later date if you change your mind... the other thing is that pretty much everyone is tired after a full day at work and it takes a lot of time away from them, even working in an office where you think you will be sat down all day, you're likely to be under pressure and have a lot to do and you will still be tired and have to put some effort into time planning to have a social life etc... you also can't guarantee enjoying that job, it might sound good now but have you got experience and therefore KNOW it's the right thing for you?

whether employers care about a degree depends on the sector, it's never going to be a disadvantage and you might lose out for not having one, it's just an easy screening tool, but you should be able to find an admin job without one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.