Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Graphic Design this September and I cant decide wether Birmingham city university would be better or Sheffield Hallum, does anyone know anything about the cities and courses that could help my decision!
    thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by emilyuni16)
    I'm going to study Graphic Design this September and I cant decide wether Birmingham city university would be better or Sheffield Hallum, does anyone know anything about the cities and courses that could help my decision!
    thanks
    Hello!

Unfortunately I can't tell you much about Graphic Design as I'm studying a Finance course (maybe someone else here can help?) but I've almost finished my final year at SHU so can tell you lots about the city!

Sheffield is a great city to move to as it's not too big, but big enough to always find something going on. With both SHU and University of Sheffield in the city there are plenty of students around. Our inter-university sports competition, Varsity, which is coming up as we speak, sees the city taken over and it's a great time to get competitive and show your uni colours (Maroon and Silver!).

My favourite thing about Sheffield is that it's so inclusive! You can head out into town any night of the week and find somewhere busy to hang out with your friends, and the Peak District is on our doorstep so you can get out of the city into the fresh air; there really is something for everyone.
    The transport links are brilliant as well so it's so easy to go and visit family and friends elsewhere, and the bus is dirt cheap with a student card!

Hope this has been helpful to you, if you've got any other questions just let me know.

Nichola

(Official Hallam Rep)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    thanks
    Hi there!

I studied at Birmingham City University, graduating in 2014 and loved the city and University so much that I decided to stay in Birmingham and now work for BCU!

I'm originally from nearer Sheffield which is also a great city, but I love Birmingham. There's so much going on it's a great city for students with lots of bars, restaurants, sights and cheap fun things to do, you'll never be bored.
    Watch our video on student life here in Birmingham or check out just a few of the fun things to do here!

In terms of the course, is it Graphic Communication you're looking at? You'd be based in our Parkside building and have access to our Hollywood standard MILO unit - we were the first School of Visual Communication in Europe to offer MILO motion capture technology which is now one of only two owned by Universities in Europe! As well as the facilities on this course, you get to participate in live projects and work with potential employers.

I'd suggest coming to our next open day in June to see what it's like for yourself. You can sign up to be notified when registration opens.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions in the meantime, I'll do my best to answer them!

All the best

Lydia (BCU)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    thanks
    Hey Emily!

I have just stumbled upon a great response from a Sheffield Hallam design graduate in another thread that you may find helpful.

Maya
    (Student Ambassador)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.