Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've pretty much revised histograms but the one thing I can't figure out is how to work out an unknown higher boundary.

For example, if the class boundaries are

How do you find out what to use for 59-? ?
    In the answer book it says to use 59-80, but it's different with other questions and there seems to be no rule.

Help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedrake)
    Okay, so I've pretty much revised histograms but the one thing I can't figure out is how to work out an unknown higher boundary.

In the answer book it says to use 59-80, but it's different with other questions and there seems to be no rule.

Help?
    Zacken?

ReputationRep:

Help?
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Zacken?
    Whatever the end of the range is. If the ages only go up to 80, then it's 80. It all depends on the context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Whatever the end of the range is. If the ages only go up to 80, then it's 80. It all depends on the context.
    Hi, yeah that makes sense but there was no age limit on this one. For example, another one I tried was Q1 from ex1B of the Cambridge OCR Stats 1 textbook:

The speeds, in mPh, of 200 vehicles travelling on a motorway were measured by a radar device. The results are summarised in the following table.

Speed = 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70-80, over 80

That's all the info given and in the answer they use 80-100?

How are we meant to figure out that 100 should be used?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yeah that makes sense but there was no age limit on this one. For example, another one I tried was Q1 from ex1B of the Cambridge OCR Stats 1 textbook:

The speeds, in mPh, of 200 vehicles travelling on a motorway were measured by a radar device. The results are summarised in the following table.

Speed = 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70-80, over 80

That's all the info given and in the answer they use 80-100?
    Does the 100 even matter? Could you take a picture of such a question, please?

ReputationRep:
    Usually you just have to make a logical guess - most mark schemes should give you a little leeway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cynicphysicist)
    Usually you just have to make a logical guess - most mark schemes should give you a little leeway
    thanks! that sounds about right haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.