Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

would wales and scotland be better without england telling them what to do? watch

ReputationRep:
    do welsh and scottish deserve more power (say yes!!)

ReputationRep:
    Just because you said "Vote yes", I voted No. Reverse psychology ... what a wunnerful thing.

IMO, more power would just lead to more arguements, with more beaurocracy as the result. Which translates to even less useful work done by any of the governments.

ReputationRep:
    whats the point in the national assembly for wales if they have no power then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew_200)
    whats the point in the national assembly for wales if they have no power then?
    Actually, it seems to have gone the other way in some respects. Why on earth should Scottish MPs be allowed to vote on things like tuition fees in England and Wales?

ReputationRep:
    exactly my point. if we just all looked after our own bit,not completly seperate, but just do what the country thinks will be best??

by the way how many of you that have voted are english?

ReputationRep:
    It seems odd that the Welsh Assembley, which is full of left wing politicians, could be ruled by a Tory government if the rest of Britian votes them in.

ReputationRep:
    another good point, shouldnt that be voted on just by wales and not have other countries telling them what to do?

ReputationRep:
    Very good question.

I don't think anyone who's not Welsh or Scottish can judge really. Hence the reason it's only us involved in referendums about devolution.

ReputationRep:
    im going now, so ill see how the poll turns out tomorrow

( i bet the majority of people will say no, and theyll be english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Very good question.

I don't think anyone who's not Welsh or Scottish can judge really. Hence the reason it's only us involved in referendums about devolution.
    So english people shouldn't have the right to tell you scots what to do, but your MPs being able to force legislation upon us which won't affect them or their constituents (at least, not in a bad way) is ok?

I say rebuild Hadrian's wall

ReputationRep:
    It's partly still there

I have to say I like the joke about the Englishman asking a genie for a wall to be built around England to keep the Scots, Welsh and Irish out. Then the Scottishman asking for it to be filled with water.

Westminster is still a British parliament, and so long as it is British, Scottish MPs have, and should have the right to sit in it.
    But please, cut us loose! Then you won't have to worry about such things.

ReputationRep:
    For some specific issues maybe yes, but generally no, for a country this size, there's no point.

Put it this way - so far the Scottish Parliment BUILDING (not including wages or anything else) is estimated to cost £431 million. It's a gratuitous waste and that money should have gone into schools or hospitals.

I take the opposite viewpoint regarding the EU - a European government is a terrible idea. It's simply far too big an area with too much difference of interest for it to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    For some specific issues maybe yes, but generally no, for a country this size, there's no point.

Put it this way - so far the Scottish Parliment BUILDING (not including wages or anything else) is estimated to cost £431 million. It's a gratuitous waste and that money should have gone into schools or hospitals.

I take the opposite viewpoint regarding the EU - a European government is a terrible idea. It's simply far too big an area with too much difference of interest for it to work.
    God with a spending bill like that, a woman must have been in charge!

I'm starting to agree with your viewpoint on the EU. It doesn't seem to be helping things much. All they do is sit around and bicker about constitutions and nick our fish.

ReputationRep:
    It's partly still there

I have to say I like the joke about the Englishman asking a genie for a wall to be built around England to keep the Scots, Welsh and Irish out. Then the Scottishman asking for it to be filled with water.

Westminster is still a British parliament, and so long as it is British, Scottish MPs have, and should have the right to sit in it.
    But please, cut us loose! Then you won't have to worry about such things.
    I know - I've seen it

But there's no way scottish MPs should be able to vote in top up fees for us but don't apply to scottish pupils. The only way they affect scotland is that scottish unis get more money per pupil, without their pupils paying any more money. Likewise - foundation hospitals. It's obviously wrong, but the only reason it hasn't been stopped is that the government would keep losing important votes in parliament.

ReputationRep:
    It would seem absolutely ridiculous to have Wales represented as a separate country in my eyes. It's tiny! In population terms it's like having Manchester a separate country. And UK as a region is tiny in global terms as it is. Same argument goes for Scotland. Scotland is tiny, it's like not even half the size (again population wise) of London is it?. Would it really be too clever to start having London represented as two separate countries in the EU?

ReputationRep:
    I think that together we should stay united. I think that on issues like tuition fees Scotish MP's shoul vote in Scoland, Welsh in Wales and English in England. But I think that if we are going to do it that way only english MP's should vote on the intorduction in England. I think that we have just about got the right split of power as it is.

ReputationRep:
    God with a spending bill like that, a woman must have been in charge!

I'm starting to agree with your viewpoint on the EU. It doesn't seem to be helping things much. All they do is sit around and bicker about constitutions and nick our fish.
    I wouldn't be surprised. The desk (just the one) for the entrance hall cost £88,000. That's probably 3-4 times the average wage for a year's work in Scotland, and they spend it on a desk? Next time, try Ikea. You could probably buy out all of the desks in the warehouse for 88 grand.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't there something to do with someone knicking cattle from Spain or somewhere as a joke about the fish situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew_200)
    exactly my point. if we just all looked after our own bit,not completly seperate, but just do what the country thinks will be best??
    That makes no sense whatsoever. If each country does what it thinks is best for itself without reference to the others, then they're pretty much completely seperate. There's far too many links between Wales, Scotland and the rest of the UK for each part to simply act seperately. For example, economic activity in England can have major effects on the economy of Wales and vice versa. People close to the border in Wales may go to a school across the border in England, and again vice versa. Anything that doesn't take account of these links, like your proposal, is inherently flawed.

As for you comedy assertions about how the English run Wales or Scotland, parliament (and by extension the government) has Scottish and Welsh MPs. The reason why England has more is because there are more English. This is called 'democracy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophetta)
    But tuition fees do affect scottish MPs constituents far more than this- many people from Scotland go and study in England and we would have to pay the fees up front (I don't know how many times I have complained about this- sorry). Therefore this does affect us and our MPs do have a right to vote about this. However, for foundation hospitals I agree with you- the Scottish MPs should not have voted.

I think that England should get their own parliament though, and then we could keep Westminister as the British Government that decides stuff on defence and what not. Then we wouldn't have these complaints about Scottish MPs voting on 'english' issues.
    Hear hear.

And also hear hear on tuition fees. Plus introducing them in England has ramifications in Scotland (probability of English students rushing north of the border and taking a Scottish student's place), so if it affects Scotland, Scottish MPs should vote on it.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.