Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what does islam say about breakups or heartbreak? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Why?

Why not make your own choices?

Arranged marriage of this kind belongs in the dark ages.
    You are choosing whether you want to marry him or not.

No, forced marriages belong in the dark ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    You are choosing whether you want to marry him or not.

No, forced marriages belong in the dark ages.
    So you advocate your parents selecting maybe a few men from which you are allowed to choose? Whilst that's not as abhorrent as forced marriage, it takes away much of your freedom. You need the freedom to make mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely don't do what the user above me said ^

Either arranged marriage or you tell your parents or next of kin who you like so they can take it from there.
    would hate to be your child tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    So you advocate your parents selecting maybe a few men from which you are allowed to choose? Whilst that's not as abhorrent as forced marriage, it takes away much of your freedom. You need the freedom to make mistakes.
    There's no limit on the number of people you can choose from.
    Hardly taking away your freedom, think you keep getting confused with forced marriages.
    (Original post by z33)
    would hate to be your child tbh
    Lol I will try and bring my child up in the best Islamic manner Insha Allah so they'll thank me in the hereafter
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol I will try and bring my child up in the best Islamic manner Insha Allah so they'll thank me in the hereafter
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol your child will rebel and hate you for making them marry somebody before they knew what they were getting into and then realising later that person was an ******* and mistreated them and their life is now ruined. It is not unislamic to talk to someone and get to know them before you make a massive commitment like marriage, it's not a joke they're gonna spend the rest of their lives with this person they've gotta know if they like them enough and if they're good for them. Their unhappiness in the marriage could also make it more likely for them to sin due to their unhappiness and when they're frying in the hereafter I'm sure they won't be thanking you.

It doesn't have to turn out that way, it could be a happy marriage, but i'd rather not risk it and have my kid know who they're gonna spend the rest of their lives with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Lol your child will rebel and hate you for making them marry somebody before they knew what they were getting into and then realising later that person was an ******* and mistreated them and their life is now ruined. It is not unislamic to talk to someone and get to know them before you make a massive commitment like marriage, it's not a joke they're gonna spend the rest of their lives with this person they've gotta know if they like them enough and if they're good for them. Their unhappiness in the marriage could also make it more likely for them to sin due to their unhappiness and when they're frying in the hereafter I'm sure they won't be thanking you.

It doesn't have to turn out that way, it could be a happy marriage, but i'd rather not risk it and have my kid know who they're gonna spend the rest of their lives with
    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I won't make my child marry anyone they don't want to.
    You can talk to them and spend time with them.
    You can have as many meetings as you want.
    Just not all of that alone.

I already said I'm against forced marriages smh, don't understand why people intend on making themselves look stupid by not reading the whole convo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I won't make my child marry anyone they don't want to.
    You can talk to them and spend time with them.
    You can have as many meetings as you want.
    Just not all of that alone.

I already said I'm against forced marriages smh, don't understand why people intend on making themselves look stupid by not reading the whole convo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not stupid brah
    (Original post by Habibananna)
    You go on a date, go out eating, get to know eachother... favourite things, likes, dislikes etc. If you're compatible then it works and you get married, if not then you part ways.
    You definitely don't do what the user above me said ^Either arranged marriage or you tell your parents or next of kin who you like so they can take it from there.
    when did that user ever say this was to be done alone? yet you still disagreed very strongly.
    I never said you'd make them marry someone they don't want to, I said someone they don't know properly, for example they may be attracted to them and want to be with them but after speaking to them properly they may not like them and feel they aren't right for them.

do you even read brah :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    I'm not stupid brah

when did that user ever say this was to be done alone? yet you still disagreed very strongly.
    I never said you'd make them marry someone they don't want to, I said someone they don't know properly, for example they may be attracted to them and want to be with them but after speaking to them properly they may not like them and feel they aren't right for them.

do you even read brah :facepalm:
    No you're not. Sorry about that.

That's kinda what a 'date' is you know.

You don't hear about people going on dates with another family member present do you?

ReputationRep:
    No you're not. Sorry about that.

That's kinda what a 'date' is you know.

You don't hear about people going on dates with another family member present do you?
    You should be :hand:

What about double dates, that has friends present

you know what Islamic dates are like man, plus what about the "get to know eachother... favourite things, likes, dislikes etc. If you're compatible then it works and you get married, if not then you part ways." bit that you also dismissed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    You should be :hand:

What about double dates, that has friends present

you know what Islamic dates are like man, plus what about the "get to know eachother... favourite things, likes, dislikes etc. If you're compatible then it works and you get married, if not then you part ways." bit that you also dismissed
    Idk I think you need to have a mahram present.

Yeah but you can ask those questions beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Idk I think you need to have a mahram present.

Yeah but you can ask those questions beforehand.
    what like "mama ask them what their favourite TV show is"?
    nah man thats too much but to each their own I guess

ReputationRep:
    Those that break hearts and hurt innocent souls will rot in hell

ReputationRep:
    HAnwar

No, I doubt arrange marriages are the only Halal ways. You could marry a colleague, classmate, and other acquaintances.

ReputationRep:
    For all the bogus superiority Muslims here are showing, divorce is stupidly easy in Islam, like more easy than switching your car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    what like "mama ask them what their favourite TV show is"?
    nah man thats too much but to each their own I guess
    I cleary said 'you' as in the child

(Original post by champ_mc99)
    HAnwar

No, I doubt arrange marriages are the only Halal ways. You could marry a colleague, classmate, and other acquaintances.
    Yeah you can. That doesn't make it haram unless you have a relationship before marriage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.