Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've applied to study art and have received offers from all of my choices. However, I'm really stuck between choosing Glasgow School of Art to study Communication Design or Leeds College of Art to study Visual Communication. The courses themselves look nearly identical, and I love both universities and the cities they are in, but I know that Glasgow has a slightly better reputation and, being Scottish, it would mean that there are no tuition fees. On the other hand, I really loved Leeds and know it has some of the best facilities and satisfaction rates in the UK. If anyone could give me any feedback on either uni or course, or any advice that could be helpful in making a decision it would be very much appreciated x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is living in Leeds worth going into debt? I don't think so. The Glasgow School of Art is very famous and presumably their facilities are just as good as Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is a world class institution, and Leeds, whilst very good, is not. You must go with where you think you will be happy, and that sounds like Leeds, but don't dismiss Glasgow without doing the research. Art is very much a subject where you make of it what you have the talent to make, but don't underestimate the usefulness of a well known brand name in getting you a leg up the ladder.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, though I've been researching and student reviews of Glasgow's facilities aren't great whilst Leeds' are being nominated for awards. Idk, the debt thing is a big issue though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Glasgow is a world class institution, and Leeds, whilst very good, is not. You must go with where you think you will be happy, and that sounds like Leeds, but don't dismiss Glasgow without doing the research. Art is very much a subject where you make of it what you have the talent to make, but don't underestimate the usefulness of a well known brand name in getting you a leg up the ladder.
    Yeh I think that's what I'm struggling with the most. I was thrown slightly because I really didn't expect to get an offer from Glasgow so in my head I was all set to accept my offer from Leeds. Now I'm a lot less certain of where I want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Hopper)
    Yeh I think that's what I'm struggling with the most. I was thrown slightly because I really didn't expect to get an offer from Glasgow so in my head I was all set to accept my offer from Leeds. Now I'm a lot less certain of where I want to be.
    Speaking as someone who know and likes Leeds pretty well, I don't think it has anything that would compensate for not paying fees in Glasgow, tbh, but you must go where you think you will be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who know and likes Leeds pretty well, I don't think it has anything that would compensate for not paying fees in Glasgow, tbh, but you must go where you think you will be happy.
    Thank you, that's a very good point. Another thing that could work for or against Glasgow is that it's a four year course instead of three? I can't decide if that extra year is a benefit or not?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's a very good point. Another thing that could work for or against Glasgow is that it's a four year course instead of three? I can't decide if that extra year is a benefit or not?
    Are you going into the first year? If so, it's like an art foundation course, where you get to dabble in all sorts before you decide which direction you want to go into. That might be a good thing if you are still feeling experimental. Frankly, I'd have done a four year course if I'd my time over again and it didn't cost me another year's fees, but that is for you to decide.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going into the first year? If so, it's like an art foundation course, where you get to dabble in all sorts before you decide which direction you want to go into. That might be a good thing if you are still feeling experimental. Frankly, I'd have done a four year course if I'd my time over again and it didn't cost me another year's fees, but that is for you to decide.
    Yes I would be starting first year, however I'm already doing a foundation this year so a lot of my friends from my course will be going directly into second year from college, but for some reason that isn't the case with me. I'm just worried I'll get bored or frustrated doing an extra year, but I may be overthinking it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would be starting first year, however I'm already doing a foundation this year so a lot of my friends from my course will be going directly into second year from college, but for some reason that isn't the case with me. I'm just worried I'll get bored or frustrated doing an extra year, but I may be overthinking it.
    Did you apply for entry into the second year?

ReputationRep:
    You can drop out after 3rd year and still receive a bachelors. You just won't get the "honours" part of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Did you apply for entry into the second year?
    I thought I had, apparently not though. It's not that big of a deal, just something to consider whilst I'm making my desicion I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    You can drop out after 3rd year and still receive a bachelors. You just won't get the "honours" part of the degree.
    Do many people do that?

ReputationRep:
    Do many people do that?
    The GSA has an extremely low drop-out rate due to high student satisfaction. Therefore (since we're discussing that institution in particular) I'd say no.
    You can find these numbers at whichuni, unistats and other places by googling "Glasgow school of art student reviews" and similar keywords. I also spoke with lecturers during open day, so I'm pretty sure of this. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I had, apparently not though. It's not that big of a deal, just something to consider whilst I'm making my desicion I suppose.
    I'd get onto them and discuss the situation. They may be prepared to change it. It's the norm for students with a foundation to go straight into second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    The GSA has an extremely low drop-out rate due to high student satisfaction. Therefore (since we're discussing that institution in particular) I'd say no.
    You can find these numbers at whichuni, unistats and other places by googling "Glasgow school of art student reviews" and similar keywords. I also spoke with lecturers during open day, so I'm pretty sure of this. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    The student satisfaction rate is definitely important in making this desicion, I'll look into it. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'd get onto them and discuss the situation. They may be prepared to change it. It's the norm for students with a foundation to go straight into second year.
    Good idea, I'll try them after the bank holiday is over. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - I know this isn't very relevant to this thread but can't find any others about Glasgow School of Art!
    Just wondering if any of you are currently at GSA and could advise me...
    I am going to study painting and printmaking from September and have direct 2nd year entry. Just wondering if I am likely to get halls accommodation? I assumed I would but had a thought that I might be disadvantaged as a 2nd year student? Or is it very common for people like me to get into halls?
    Thanks so so much (and sorry for derailing the thread- I personally love GSA from what I have seen and the reputation is fantastic so definitely don't discount it- although facilities are important, the teaching is also crucial!)
    ))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosieart)
    Hi everyone - I know this isn't very relevant to this thread but can't find any others about Glasgow School of Art!
    Just wondering if any of you are currently at GSA and could advise me...
    I am going to study painting and printmaking from September and have direct 2nd year entry. Just wondering if I am likely to get halls accommodation? I assumed I would but had a thought that I might be disadvantaged as a 2nd year student? Or is it very common for people like me to get into halls?
    Thanks so so much (and sorry for derailing the thread- I personally love GSA from what I have seen and the reputation is fantastic so definitely don't discount it- although facilities are important, the teaching is also crucial!)
    ))
    No worries! From what my friends who are starting from second year seem to be saying, I think your best bet is trying to find a flat. However, it's not unheard of for second years to get halls, I just think first years might be prioritised. I could easily be wrong though, if I were you I'd contact the uni and ask them personally. Here's a link I got from the website:
    [email protected]
    Good luck, and maybe see you at Glasgow!

ReputationRep:
    No worries! From what my friends who are starting from second year seem to be saying, I think your best bet is trying to find a flat. However, it's not unheard of for second years to get halls, I just think first years might be prioritised. I could easily be wrong though, if I were you I'd contact the uni and ask them personally. Here's a link I got from the website:
    [email protected]
    Good luck, and maybe see you at Glasgow!
    Thanks for the help!
    I really hope that I'm on par with first years as I've never lived away from my family and wouldn't really know where to start haha.
    I have emailed them so we shall see..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.