Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My first choice uni wants AAA.

I was always relying on Southampton as my insurance - they want AAB (but if I get an A in EPQ, the entry grade could be ABB. However I don't know my EPQ grades until results day, and teachers refuse to give me an indication of how I have done). Realistically if I don't meet the requirements of my firm choice, I really don't want to go to Southampton; I'd probably take a gap year. However I would consider going to Exeter.

I really want to put Exeter rather than Southampton as my insurance - but they've offered me AAA like my firm choice. I have friends who applied to the same course with offers of AAB, and the grade requirements on the website are AAB-AAA.

Potentially therefore if I get AAB there might be some lenience, seeing as they're accepting people with these grades. But that only gives me the possibility of missing one grade - even then theres no guarantee Exeter would have me.

So if you were me would you insurance the uni with definite lower grades that I don't really want to go to, or the uni that might not lower the grades that I would go to?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Han-)

I was always relying on Southampton as my insurance - they want AAB (but if I get an A in EPQ, the entry grade could be ABB. However I don't know my EPQ grades until results day, and teachers refuse to give me an indication of how I have done). Realistically if I don't meet the requirements of my firm choice, I really don't want to go to Southampton; I'd probably take a gap year. However I would consider going to Exeter.

I really want to put Exeter rather than Southampton as my insurance - but they've offered me AAA like my firm choice. I have friends who applied to the same course with offers of AAB, and the grade requirements on the website are AAB-AAA.

Potentially therefore if I get AAB there might be some lenience, seeing as they're accepting people with these grades. But that only gives me the possibility of missing one grade - even then theres no guarantee Exeter would have me.

So if you were me would you insurance the uni with definite lower grades that I don't really want to go to, or the uni that might not lower the grades that I would go to?
    Put where you want to go, or alternatively you don't have to have an insurance at all if you dont want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han-)

This. DO NOT put Southampton as your insurance if you're not interested in going there. I put a certain uni as my insurance that I didn't really want to go to, and I'm stuck there now (however, I have an offer to start from Year 2 in Exeter provided I achieve 60% plus this year).

Exeter gave me an offer (that I have firmly accepted) and my course requires AAA-AAB. I achieved ABB at A-level yet they still allowed me to go into Year 2 entry. The point I'm trying to make in that grade requirements can be lenient in many unis including Exeter, i.e. you can still get an offer if you get 1 grade below the minimum grade requirements.

Also I believe it is worth mentioning is that I applied for second year entry for Southamption this year, too and their requirements for AAB for my course. When I e-mailed them asking them I could apply they stated my grades would not suffice.

This almost provides the perfect scenario for you - the uni you are more interested in is lenient with grades, and the one you don't really want to go to isn't. Plus I think you don't have to go to a uni just because you put them down as your firm/insurance, if I recall correctly they allow you to not go to that uni provided you e-mail them etc etc. If you don't get into a uni you want, apply through clearing OR take a gap year (like you want to). Don't rush into any decisions like I did.

Sorry for rambling on... Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Han-)

1. Don't put down anywhere that you don't want to study. Would you pay c. £40k for a car that you don't like? No, so don't do it with your education.

2. It is better to have an AAA firm and AAA insurance than just an AAA firm, as long as you would be happy at the latter.

3. If you don't get in at either of the above, then try clearing or a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's grade range depends on which school you went to. The normal offer is the higher and the lower offer is the contextual offer if the school or college where you sit your A levels falls in the bottom 40%. No university can guarantee they will lower a grade. It all depends on the numbers reaching their offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Exeter's grade range depends on which school you went to. The normal offer is the higher and the lower offer is the contextual offer if the school or college where you sit your A levels falls in the bottom 40%.
    Sorry I may not have made that super clear - friends from the same college received AAB offers, whilst mine was AAA. This might be to do with the difference in our predicted grades, or in the amount Exeter wanted each of us - but our college is above the 40% contextual offer.

I think Exeter is quite oversubscribed so thank you, thats definitely something to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Put where you want to go, or alternatively you don't have to have an insurance at all if you dont want to.
    (Original post by eden3)
    This almost provides the perfect scenario for you - the uni you are more interested in is lenient with grades, and the one you don't really want to go to isn't. Plus I think you don't have to go to a uni just because you put them down as your firm/insurance, if I recall correctly they allow you to not go to that uni provided you e-mail them etc etc. If you don't get into a uni you want, apply through clearing OR take a gap year (like you want to). Don't rush into any decisions like I did.

Sorry for rambling on... Hope this helps!
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    1. Don't put down anywhere that you don't want to study. Would you pay c. £40k for a car that you don't like? No, so don't do it with your education.
    Thank you all, it is reassuring to see others suggesting what I'm probably leaning towards - put something more risky as my insurance because I would actually want to study there!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.