Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want to be seen with him...(need help.) Watch

I know the title sounds kind of harsh, but I honestly think he feels the same way.

Basically we've been talking for around 2 years, but before that my friend really liked him, and he kind of just harshly cut contact with her. This was a long time ago. She's had a boyfriend and liked guys since then.

We started talking a few months after that. My friend knew we were talking. I told her about it, and she gave me a rant about him clearly doing that because of her, and how he was a loser for inboxing her friends, as she hadn't started inboxing his friends. I thought that too at first, but obviously it's gone on for this long, and she's moved on, so she can't be the reason.

She doesn't think I'm talking to him anymore. I haven't lied or anything, but since I haven't talked about it since back then, she's clearly come to the conclusion that it's over.

The thing is I'm not even sure what this is, if we like each other, or we're just friends. I don't mind either way as he's become one of my friends that I can confide in over this time.

We've never really met and done anything, only a few times, and they've always been in pubs and places that aren't near where we live. This hasn't been intentional or anything, it's just been convenient as one time it was my other friend's (who lives far away and doesn't know the situation) birthday, and another time because there was a gig on and I knew he liked the music.

Now, however, we keep talking about meeting up and stuff, but I know he's only really game to go out in our town because of convenience. He's even said that today. But today I know that my friend, who liked him, is going out there too. Not to mention that everytime I go there I always see at least a group of people that I know.

Also, I think he feels the same way, since I'm a kind of ugly loser, and it'd be so awkward if his friends saw me with him (even if we just went as friends.) They'd all ask questions too, and I wouldn't know how to answer. It'd be such a weird pairing as I don't think anyone knows that we're talking, so they'd all be really shocked, and I guess he'd be embarrassed to be seen out with me.

I really want to go out as we haven't really been out properly at all. But this situation is really worrying me and making me stressed out, I don't know what to do.

TL;DR: A guy used to like my friend, we've been speaking for two years, she's over him, but doesn't know that we still talk, he's asked me to meet him, but I know that she'll be out with her friend's. Also, I'm an ugly loser, so he'd be embarrassed to be seen with me. No one knows we talk. I'm worried about the awkwardness of the situation and people's reactions.

ReputationRep:
    Very confusing awkward tale, if you keep living life thinking of others reactions and conforming to them you aren't really living. If you like him give the relationship a go, if not then let him go. I am confused how you even got with a guy that you don't really like. Also stop putting your looks down, if this guy doesn't like you he would not be with you.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if neither of you want to be seen in public with each other then your relationship is ****ed. And considering neither of you are sure if you even like the other person, this "relationship" sounds like a waste of time to me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If you both feel the same way then I really don't know how else to respond other than mutually end it and get on with it…? :confused:

(Original post by Mancini)
    Very confusing awkward tale, if you keep living life thinking of others reactions and conforming to them you aren't really living. If you like him give the relationship a go, if not then let him go. I am confused how you even got with a guy that you don't really like. Also stop putting your looks down, if this guy doesn't like you he would not be with you.
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    To be honest if neither of you want to be seen in public with each other then your relationship is ****ed. And considering neither of you are sure if you even like the other person, this "relationship" sounds like a waste of time to me.
    Thanks, I'm as confused as everyone else is, tbf. I don't even know if I've got with him, honestly, or if we're talking as friends. We haven't defined anything, so I'm guessing it's friendship. It's not really about the relationship with me, anyway, it's about the friendship, as we've been talking for so long that I feel like he's one of my close friends. So I care more about the friendship than anything else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.