Turn on thread page Beta

Currently living in Saudi Arabia AMA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    not at all.
    Do men have to wear abayas? Do women have to wear abayas? Is this not, by definition, discriminatory treatment under the law? Does this not, then, constitute evidence that women are treated differently to men, thus as 'second class citizens'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ Redeems)
    lol what makes it unfair on Muslim-Israelis but not Christian/Jewish/Atheist-Israelis? :erm:
    yeah i guess i see your point but i dont think that people who support the Israelis in the war between Palestine would want to come. its saudis way of doing something bout the war but its pretty useless. its not fair on them too if they really want to come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slutty Salafi)
    Current laws require women below the age of 45 to provide proof they have the approval of their male guardian or “mahram” before travelling, even locally, and that they are accompanied at all times.

Wait, do they mean Travelling in general :erm:
    Yep :lol:

ReputationRep:
    woman*
    piss off
    (Original post by mkap)
    not at all.
    I'm surprised tbh

Do you not feel restricted in anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    i dont think that people who support the Israelis in the war between Palestine would want to come.
    all Jews support all of Israel's conduct and all non-Jews don't support all of Israel's conduct?

ReputationRep:
    It must be an absolute nightmare, you're busy in the garage and your wife wants to go to the shops, so you have to write a letter giving her permission and then phone someone up to take her shopping.

Surprised they get anything at all done tbh

ReputationRep:
    It must be an absolute nightmare, you're busy in the garage and your wife wants to go to the shops, so you have to write a letter giving her permission and then phone someone up to take her shopping.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/60339/eleve...arabia-cant-do
    [Saudi women cannot] Go anywhere without a chaperone

Saudi women need to be accompanied by a male guardian known as a 'mahram' whenever they leave the house. The guardian is often a male relative and will accompany women on all of their errands, including shopping trips and visits to the doctor.

In one extreme case, a teenager reported that she had been gang-raped, but because she was not with a mahram when it occurred, she was punished by the court. The victim was given more lashes than one of her alleged rapists received, the Washington Post reports.
    :lolwut:

im not seeing much of this 'progress' you speak of :erm:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theweek.co.uk/60339/eleve...arabia-cant-do

:lolwut:

im not seeing much of this 'progress' you speak of :erm:
    What a mad place, usually when you hear of evil in the world you expect it to be one bad leader, but it really does seem as if the Saudi public are largely complicit in the insanity.

ReputationRep:
    What a mad place, usually when you hear of evil in the world you expect it to be one bad leader, but it really does seem as if the Saudi public are largely complicit in the insanity.
    brb iran has 4 female vice presidents
    Spoiler:
    Show

but also a female dress code and deeply sexist inheritance/divorce laws :moon:

i really feel sorry for any woman living in (most of) the ME. the illusion of equality. inshallah one day they swallow the red pill and overthrow their dictatorial (/male) autocrats.

ReputationRep:
    Do you edit out my intentionally incorrect question mark?

ReputationRep:
    Do you edit out my intentionally incorrect question mark?
    i thought it wasn't intentional

i tried to do a good deed

ReputationRep:
    brb iran has 4 female vice presidents
    Spoiler:
    Show

but also a female dress code and deeply sexist inheritance/divorce laws :moon:

i really feel sorry for any woman living in (most of) the ME. the illusion of equality. inshallah one day they swallow the red pill and overthrow their dictatorial (/male) autocrats.
    The most unfortunate thing is, because of Western intervention in the ME, the leaders of these nations can present liberalism and feminism as imperialist forces from the outside, whereas in Europe, the Church and the aristocrats didn't have this defense when women started demanding the vote/rights in general

ReputationRep:
    The most unfortunate thing is, because of Western intervention in the ME, the leaders of these nations can present liberalism and feminism as imperialist forces from the outside, whereas in Europe, the Church and the aristocrats didn't have this defense when women started demanding the vote/rights in general
    yeah i have noticed that with the clerics in iran/saudi in particular.

i think the main problem is just how powerful these clerics are, and how disproportionate this is to their support, especially in iran (women in iran got the vote 50 years ago, which shows that the current sexist laws dont have a mandate, and are just imposed on them by the clerics from 1979, I'm not sure TWE that's true of saudi).

ReputationRep:

women can go out alone and stuff, they can get a taxi on their own but they just cant drive.

(Original post by drowzee)
    piss off

I'm surprised tbh

Do you not feel restricted in anyway?
    no as it doesnt affect me, lol why do i need to drive

ReputationRep:

Lol no, pretty much every house has a driver

and the permission thing is for actual travelling not just movement xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasmin#2)
    Lol no, pretty much every house has a driver

and the permission thing is for actual travelling not just movement xD
    yup, our compound has a bus driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    women can go out alone and stuff, they can get a taxi on their own but they just cant drive.

no as it doesnt affect me, lol why do i need to drive

Because you're an Adult.

A Religion prevents you from basic human rights a person your age should have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Zinan)
    Because you're an Adult.

A Religion prevents you from basic human rights a person your age should have.
    seriously where does it say in Islam that women cant drive. the law was created by Saudis not by Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    seriously where does it say in Islam that women cant drive. the law was created by Saudis not by Islam.

Obviously driving wouldn't be included in the Qu'ran but the treatment of women as inferior to men is.

It's also in your hadiths. I know it sounds harsh but tough luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Zinan)
    Obviously driving wouldn't be included in the Qu'ran but the treatment of women as inferior to men is.

It's also in your hadiths. I know it sounds harsh but tough luck.
    ok find me hadith also its because Islam is protecting women.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.