Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a slight crisis!

I'm currently a GCSE student at an engineering college (15). I really want to narrow down my career choices at this point in my life, this is proving difficult to me as I enjoy doing many things in my spare time.
    So, what exactly do I enjoy? I'm an air cadet, I do tons of design in my spare time (usually web design, car sketches, posters...), I also do programming and love anything technological.

From these I have gathered some career choices that appeal to me:
    Comms Technician in the RAF
    Automotive Designer
    Web Designer/Front-End Developer
    UI/UX Designer

Now here's the crisis: I honestly have no clue whatsoever as to what career I'm going to choose. I understand that it's possible to change careers if I decide that one isn't right for me, however I need to know what I'll being doing following school! University? College? Apprenticeship?

I know it's maybe a little early to be thinking about these things but I want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance, =]
    Sam.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MrMeister15)
    You just don't need to decide now, and part of the reason you can't make the decision is simply because you don't have the data to make a reasoned decision. See how your GCSEs go and what A levels you want to take. See how your A levels go and what degree subject you might like to do (if at all). See what modules of your degree are most satisfying or what sections of an apprenticeship.

Your intelligence, aptitudes and interests will all change and develop over the next few years and making a decision now to be a Comms Technician in the RAF is a waste of effort. You can't prepare for something when you don't have the right equipment. Think about having a career in technology, and then gradually narrow it down over the next 3-5 years as you see how your intelligence, aptitude and interests develop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You just don't need to decide now, and part of the reason you can't make the decision is simply because you don't have the data to make a reasoned decision. See how your GCSEs go and what A levels you want to take. See how your A levels go and what degree subject you might like to do (if at all). See what modules of your degree are most satisfying or what sections of an apprenticeship.

Your intelligence, aptitudes and interests will all change and develop over the next few years and making a decision now to be a Comms Technician in the RAF is a waste of effort. You can't prepare for something when you don't have the right equipment. Think about having a career in technology, and then gradually narrow it down over the next 3-5 years as you see how your intelligence, aptitude and interests develop.
    Thanks =]

Really want to do something I enjoy, not something that seems like a chore to me.
    Guess it's easy to get all worked up about things like this, especially when there's pressure from other people not to fail miserably ....

Sam.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MrMeister15)
    Thanks =]

Really want to do something I enjoy, not something that seems like a chore to me.
    That's all fine, and makes sense, but you are considering a job that you won't start doing for 3-6 years time. Think what you were like 3-6 years ago and imagine trying to make decisions aged 10 about what you would be doing aged 16 - it doesn't make sense. You just have to keep alert to options, keep trying things out, and see where your skills and interests emerge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    That's all fine, and makes sense, but you are considering a job that you won't start doing for 3-6 years time. Think what you were like 3-6 years ago and imagine trying to make decisions aged 10 about what you would be doing aged 16 - it doesn't make sense. You just have to keep alert to options, keep trying things out, and see where your skills and interests emerge.
    Cheers, you've been a massive help.
    Time to stop worrying and get on with school then I suppose!
    Sam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.