Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have offers for both Durham & Bath: the former in Chemical Engineering and the latter in General. Both are A* A A, and I have visited both towns.

Here's where my problem comes in. I am biased towards Durham in terms of city life because I find it so nice to live in - never mind all the hills. I have a best friend in Durham who absolutely loves it and the collegiate system will suit me fine because as an introvert it's easier to make friends with groups of people rather than a huge group as a whole. However, the course in Bath is much more suited to what I think I will do well in and the transition from where I live now to going to Bath would be easier. I also get the vibe that I'll fit in better in Durham rather than Bath.

I've considered costs and the town and other factors such as student satisfaction. I suppose what I need now is for more opinions to make up my mind.

Thanks to anyone who decides to read or reply to this post!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer at Bath - I hope I can help.

I personally have never visited Durham but I have spoken to many people about it. Hopefully I can give a few things about Bath that will aid in your decision making process.

Firstly, the campus has a really nice feel. It is pretty small and lots is always going on, making it a really nice student atmosphere. There is also the lake with grass and benches around which is great is Summer! The campus has everything, from Banks to shops to cafes, so you probably don't ever need to leave campus (although it'd probably drive you a little made!) Obviously Bath doesn't have the same collage system as Durham but it is still a small student community.

Bath also has some great sport facilities, and opportunities for all abilities. From memory, I believe Surrey also has a great sports complex, so maybe you could make some comparisons here.

Bath as a city is really pretty. Yes, there are quite a few tourists that can get in the way as you're doing your shopping, but there are some great sights. For example, the Bath Abby, Roman Baths and even a tea shop are world famous! This does mean that some things in Bath are a little more expensive than other cities, but it does allow for a few great afternoons!

Ultimately, if you think that you will be better in Durham then I don't want to try and convince you otherwise. This being said, I think it is really important that you make the decision based on as much information as you can, and not just because you know more about Durham as you have a friend there.

I hope that helps. If there is anything else I can help with, please get back to me.

Rob

(Original post by maplesyrupmafia)
    I have offers for both Durham & Bath: the former in Chemical Engineering and the latter in General. Both are A* A A, and I have visited both towns.

Here's where my problem comes in. I am biased towards Durham in terms of city life because I find it so nice to live in - never mind all the hills. I have a best friend in Durham who absolutely loves it and the collegiate system will suit me fine because as an introvert it's easier to make friends with groups of people rather than a huge group as a whole. However, the course in Bath is much more suited to what I think I will do well in and the transition from where I live now to going to Bath would be easier. I also get the vibe that I'll fit in better in Durham rather than Bath.

I've considered costs and the town and other factors such as student satisfaction. I suppose what I need now is for more opinions to make up my mind.

Thanks to anyone who decides to read or reply to this post!

I go to Durham and would recommend it in a heart beat to anyone. The college system is amazing and my course (chemistry) is taught so well and really enjoy that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bath has better engineering facilities, and generally is a stronger course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Bath has better engineering facilities, and generally is a stronger course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But they are not the same course? OP should choose the course that suits their requirements best. They both have strong reputations, the OP will be fine at either uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.