Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GREEEEEENNN??? arrrgh lol! I liked the brown paintjob of last year. They refurbed Bar One as well? They really dont need to do all this refurbing - It's Fusion/Foundry that needs refurb!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I'm am postgrad coming this Sep, will I get a student union card and if so, how do I go about getting it?

Thanks
    Charlotte

ReputationRep:
    You should have had an application form for your UCard in your registration pack though the deadline for that to be sent in was yesterday. Otherwise they'll organise you getting one at your registration event.

ReputationRep:
    Oh bugger do you have to have an NUS card to use evrything? Should I get one then? Or will they gimme a card that says "Sheffield Uni: let him use all the stuff"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fwass)
    Oh bugger do you have to have an NUS card to use evrything? Should I get one then? Or will they gimme a card that says "Sheffield Uni: let him use all the stuff"?

The Sheffield University UCard is your NUS card, it covers everything. You get it during Intro Week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Interval do the nicest hot chocs in the world. Whipped cream and marshmellows, oh and massive sunday lunches they are a bargain and great after a hangover and they have a decent veggie and vegan menu.
    I'm glad to say the hot chocs and breakfasts are awesome now too

also... There's probably something on wiki about the club nights, but i thought i'd make a current list on here while i'm bored!

Foundry & Fusion - Weekly
    Tuesday Club - usually on a tuesday, though makes occasional appearances on saturday nights! Drum & Bass in one room, hip hop in the other. Several resident DJs and guests aswell... I've most enjoyed DJ yoda, shlomo & pendulum.

Juice - wednesdays. A cheesy disco night, mostly chart stuff but with fusion being used for britpop. Especially popular with the sports teams. A messy night, very popular & plenty of drinks offers.

Fuzz Club/ Bleach - Thursdays - Indie disco in foundry, metal & other stuff in fusion. At least 2 live bands in every week. SOmetimes rather good live bands. Has hosted The Kooks & The Automatic last year and more recently The pigeon detectives, good shoes & the wombats.

Pop Tarts - Saturday night retro party. 80s & 90s music in foundry, 60s & 70s in fusion. Cheap drinks offers & good for a laugh.

Foundry & Fusion - Occasional
    Urban Gorilla (every so often)- A reputable line up of DJs & MCs. Usually fairly expensive but great if its your kind of thing.

Climax (monthly) - LGB night - Juice but gayer A bit more relaxed though, plenty of straight people do still go. Has interesting themes sometimes, and occasionally free massages in the 'pink powder room' (fusion)

Cuba Libre (monthly) - dance stuff. Don't know much about it.

Fuzztival (yearly) - Day long fuzz club festival. WIll only be in its 3rd year next time. several bands through the day, food served in the fusion too. This years lineup included hot puppies, victorian english gentlemans club, hot club de paris & 65 days of static.

Also a venue for bands. This year had the long blondes & ash in foundry, and brakes & captain in fusion. Plenty more as part of other events.

Octagon
    Frouk (weekly) - Fridays, at least for the moment (rumours of the end of it or a rebranding this year). Dance, chart, R&B. Text screens. occasional PAs, may be getting more live acts in next year (recently had uncle jam plus backing band)Seems the night where more people get dressed up to go rather than turning up in jeans & tshirt.

Valve (every so often)- Hosted by The Tuesday Club. Very very loud Drum & Bass. Ear plugs are given out on the door. Most recent line-up included Goldie, Adam F, Dillinja & sub-focus.

Lots & lots of gigs. It's the 2nd largest gig venue in sheffield. Since sept 06, some of the acts have been...
    the kooks, we are scientists, maximo park, guillemots, paul weller, the charlatans, beverly knight, levellers, the rakes, jamie T, manic street preachers
    (among a few others!)

Other events worth a mention
    carnival - end of year party. Just keeps getting bigger (this year's occupied 7 venues) Great fun, although some halls kick students out at 10am the next day! This year liberty x, sash, hot club de paris, and punk rock kareoke (sing on stage with a live band) played along side a few DJs (steve Lamacq, erol alkan & others). Awesome atmosphere, bouncy castles & candyfloss during the day too
    Similar end of exam party after first semester exams, although not as big.

last laugh - The union's comedy night held in the Raynor lounge on a sunday night. Offers on jugs of drinks. Occasionally makes trips up to the foundry.

24 hour charity musical - The musical is announced, 24 hours later it is performed. Rehearsals, costume designing, publicity & set design all take place in that very short space of time.

offbeat - indie night in raynor lounge every other week. A lot more obscure stuff than fuzz club but not as pretentious as it may sound! Makes a yearly trip to fusion for 'size of a cow'

Band comp - Bands can send demos in and are voted through from heats in the raynor to the final in the foundry. Popular choice & critics choice to be chosen. Prizes include a place on a stage at a music festival and a professional album recording.

phew, going into the details of fresher's events would take too long so i'll leave it to people to find out for themselves!

ReputationRep:
    Great job on all the descriptions Lynn! I'll just add that the 24 hour musical is only once every 2 years, and so wont be happening next year

ReputationRep:
    Is there somehwere where you can do your food shopping on campus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liss31d)
    Is there somehwere where you can do your food shopping on campus?
    You can grab little bits whilst you're down at the Union, the Union shop has essentials like bread and milk.

But there are supermarkets up near the student accomodations; Somerfield in Broomhill, Co-Op in Crookes, Tesco on West Street etc.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield Uni isn't really a campus university but there are plenty of supermarkets around in most of the student areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Interval do the nicest hot chocs in the world. Whipped cream and marshmellows, oh and massive sunday lunches they are a bargain and great after a hangover and they have a decent veggie and vegan menu.
    Ahh nice, so is Sheffield vegan friendly then??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My friend's a vegan - she can buy stuff from the union .. and she lives just behind the arts tower.. about 8 minutes down you should find a vegan shop.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I've just been looking through TSR Wiki and we have the Sheffield Uni Students Union page on there that has been made from much of the content in this thread. But I think it might be a little out of date now (maybe??)

So if there is anyone at the uni who can up date it, please take a look and see what you can do

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/She..._Student_Union

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    My friend's a vegan - she can buy stuff from the union .. and she lives just behind the arts tower.. about 8 minutes down you should find a vegan shop.
    The Union tries to offer a selection of vegan foods in most of its food outlets and there's at least two shops nearby (New Roots and Beanies) that sell a huge range of vegetarian and vegan food. I'm not vegan myself but my friend is and I don't think she finds it hard to get what she's after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickytoria_l)
    The Union tries to offer a selection of vegan foods in most of its food outlets and there's at least two shops nearby (New Roots and Beanies) that sell a huge range of vegetarian and vegan food. I'm not vegan myself but my friend is and I don't think she finds it hard to get what she's after.
    ahh cool, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Someone should probably change the firs tpost as Oxfam changed this year to New Leaf - an extremely popular salad bar - very reasonably priced, extremely yummy and i hear the jacket potatoes are pretty good too! On the work front, i don't know if anyone has mentioned that the union look for staff towards the end of August and again in November for bar/venue staff so any first years should keep their ears and eyes open on the sheffield job website and maybe i'll see some of you beghind the bar at interval!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.