Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I was looking through an AQA GCSE past paper and the last question on the paper was this:

3^x = 9^{x + 1}

Solve  x

I was wondering if someone could explain the process of solving an equation like this.

ReputationRep:
    can you write the right hand side so that is also has a base of 3?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by xy_)
    Hello. I was looking through an AQA GCSE past paper and the last question on the paper was this:

3^x = 9^{x + 1}

Solve  x

I was wondering if someone could explain the process of solving an equation like this.
    If you have two numbers, like 5^a and 5^b and they are equal (5^a = 5^b) then what can you say about a and b?

And how does this relate to your example, and how is it different?

ReputationRep:
     9^{x+1} = (3^2)^{x+1} = (3^{x+1})^2 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xy_)

3^x = 9^{x + 1}

Solve  x

aren't these exponential equations?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. So:

3^x = 9^{x+1}

3^x = (3^2)^{x+1}

3^x = 3^{2x+2}

x = 2x+2

x - 2 = 2x

-2 = x

Thanks for the help - if the above is correct then it all makes much more sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If you have two numbers, like 5^a and 5^b and they are equal (5^a = 5^b) then what can you say about a and b?

And how does this relate to your example, and how is it different?
    So a and b must be the same? So getting the same base means the exponents equal each other. So then with the same base I can divide by the base and just solve the equation left by the exponents.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by xy_)
    So a and b must be the same? So getting the same base means the exponents equal each other. So then with the same base I can divide by the base and just solve the equation left by the exponents.
    Almost correct - just to be pernickety, you can't 'divide' by the base - they disappear as you 'compare' the exponents as they must be equal, like you've said . but well done for figuring out so much from just one small hint

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.