Turn on thread page Beta

I didn't know racism like this existed in India...shocked. watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to India but this isn't news to me. Any randomer can work out from any modern-day Bollywood film that fair skin is worshipped in India. It's the same in virtually every current Bollywood song - female fair-skinned dancers get high visibility while darker-skinned dancers are shoved at the back. Same reason why Amy Jackson and Katrina Kaif are successful Bollywood stars despite speaking little to no Hindi while more talented actresses struggle for work because of their skin colour. Nowhere else in the world is the Fair & Lovely brand as successful as it is in India. It does seem quite hypocritical of normal Indians to be so cruel to African people when places like Uganda, Kenya and South Africa have become home to generations of Indian people. I thought this kind of backward, uneducated view was only seen in the small villages in India so it's horrifying to hear of it happening in the capital.

ReputationRep:
    My Indian mate was telling me about how all the people he knew back in India hated blacks. So it's not hard to believe.

ReputationRep:
    That was pretty disgusting.

Then again, India is, for the most part, a massive ****-hole so I'm not surprised.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamil Tiger)
    Yes Indians are racist but they themselves feel inferior to white people. That's why they love fair and lovely.
    Agreed, north Indians are so desperate to ingratiate themselves with the very same Europeans who despise them as inferior subhuman, that they actually resort to spewing their hatred against other dark-skinned races in the futile hope that this will win them the love of the whites whom they adore as gods. Never have I comes across a race with so huge and overweening an inferiority complex.

(Original post by Trapz99)
    How does the caste system have nothing wrong with it? It is discrimination, plain and simple. People shouldn't be classified into untouchables just because they were born into a certain family or have a certain colour of skin.
    Sri Lankan cast system does not have 'untouchables'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Indians have always been racist like this, that's how Ghandi behaved that's why I don't rate him one bit,

The younger generation in this country are alright but the older generation are trash and carry such views. Not all but a lot behave like this

They think the girl with 8 limbs, child with 2 faces, boy with 2 heads and guy with 4 eyes is normal but a black people are animals. Trash nation
    sure, thats why neslon mandela called gandhi his inspiration and one of the pioneers for the anti apartheid movement , and obama has a picture of both mandela and gandhi in the white house.
    http://articles.economictimes.indiat...mahatma-gandhi

morons like yourself clearly swallow any online propaganda they are fed including the forged letters the british circulated during the india independance movement

and in terms of india, as soon as it became an independant republic in the commonwealth, it applied trade sanctions with apartheid south africa before even the UN resolution was passed, and long before the british finally cut off all trade ties with them.
    india was also the first nation to apply full boycott of all international sport ties with aparthied southafrica - again long time before britain

finally the experience of those in the video im sure is to do with north india where majority are fair skiined indians, even white in some cases. india is a massive country far more diverse than youe tiny little world, where people of differnt cultures, languages and beleeifs all co exist in neighbouring states toalling the size of western europe.
    you seem to forget india does not have the historical tradition of an african slave trade like the americans europeans and arabs do, so black people havent been living in india for long at all comparatviely alongside your average indian, that may not have even seen an african before. india actually has huge amount of nigerian and west african footballers playing in its eastern zone league, and has done since the 1980s
    thats not to say india doesnt have racist ppl in it, all nations do , including black ppl btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    White women tan to look healthy, pale skin can be seen a sign of sickness. Also to show that they are rich enough to afford a holiday abroad/tanning beds.
    Tamil women make themselves fairer because of that racism in India.

I agree with your second paragraph, but both North and South Indians are all mixed now. North Indians probably have more Aryan genes and South Indians probably have more dravidian genes.
    It's also down to caste too in India. Think of Hema Malini, she's a Tamil brahmin so she's very fair skinned - more Aryan. A north Indian of lower castes tend to be darker in skin colour.
    You realy, thinkTamils want white people type of skin color, you're absolutely wrong. Tamils like lighter skin color than an average Indian (more like North Indian type, or Persian type at the most). They don't like skin which has almost no melanin, blood vessels show through, blemishes are visible, looks like raw skinned-chicken & ages badly (as European skin does)To look attractive, skin should have melanin. Pale-pink, pasty skin of Northern Europeans looks horrible. Sadly, you are the ones who live in a Lalaland created by your own imagination. In this lalaland, every darker skinned person aspires to have your skin color. you are so mistaken & its extremely annoying. I feel like saying to your face, '"have you looked yourself in the mirror?"

But European colonists, who were white supremacists in their ideology, spread this misinformation (or lets say incomplete information) that non-whites like white skin without specifying that all they like is lighter skin among their own racial population & that lighter skin is not as light as European skin. And, this was my exact point in my initial comment. Indians like light skin. But their preference is for the level of fairness that is already present in light skinned Indians. That level of fairness is still quite darker than average White European.

Brown skin is sexy, alluring & attractive... there's a reason millions fry themselves and get skin cancer just trying to get a tan. I don't really care about euro standards of beauty, euro beauty is for euro people, and they can keep it.Tamils and other Indians don't want that albino-like skin which age horribly and needs 10 inches of make-up to hide pimples,scars and other blemishes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's true.

I'm anglo indian and got into an argument with some anglo indian in the pub the other day. He said "you anglo indians are deceivers." and I kept saying "you're anglo indian you nutcase."

Caste system in India is just barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vithdara)
    You realy, thinkTamils want white people type of skin color, you're absolutely wrong. Tamils like lighter skin color than an average Indian (more like North Indian type, or Persian type at the most). They don't like skin which has almost no melanin, blood vessels show through, blemishes are visible, looks like raw skinned-chicken & ages badly (as European skin does)To look attractive, skin should have melanin. Pale-pink, pasty skin of Northern Europeans looks horrible. Sadly, you are the ones who live in a Lalaland created by your own imagination. In this lalaland, every darker skinned person aspires to have your skin color. you are so mistaken & its extremely annoying. I feel like saying to your face, '"have you looked yourself in the mirror?"

But European colonists, who were white supremacists in their ideology, spread this misinformation (or lets say incomplete information) that non-whites like white skin without specifying that all they like is lighter skin among their own racial population & that lighter skin is not as light as European skin. And, this was my exact point in my initial comment. Indians like light skin. But their preference is for the level of fairness that is already present in light skinned Indians. That level of fairness is still quite darker than average White European.

Brown skin is sexy, alluring & attractive... there's a reason millions fry themselves and get skin cancer just trying to get a tan. I don't really care about euro standards of beauty, euro beauty is for euro people, and they can keep it.Tamils and other Indians don't want that albino-like skin which age horribly and needs 10 inches of make-up to hide pimples,scars and other blemishes.
    I never said that they want to be European looking and the North Indian/Persian look is what the Indo-Aryans are. They are trying to become like them because the Aryans made the local Indian people, dravidians included, feel inferior and set themselves as a benchmark.

And there was no need to be rude to Europeans here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    sure, thats why neslon mandela called gandhi his inspiration and one of the pioneers for the anti apartheid movement , and obama has a picture of both mandela and gandhi in the white house.
    http://articles.economictimes.indiat...mahatma-gandhi

morons like yourself clearly swallow any online propaganda they are fed including the forged letters the british circulated during the india independance movement

and in terms of india, as soon as it became an independant republic in the commonwealth, it applied trade sanctions with apartheid south africa before even the UN resolution was passed, and long before the british finally cut off all trade ties with them.
    india was also the first nation to apply full boycott of all international sport ties with aparthied southafrica - again long time before britain

finally the experience of those in the video im sure is to do with north india where majority are fair skiined indians, even white in some cases. india is a massive country far more diverse than youe tiny little world, where people of differnt cultures, languages and beleeifs all co exist in neighbouring states toalling the size of western europe.
    you seem to forget india does not have the historical tradition of an african slave trade like the americans europeans and arabs do, so black people havent been living in india for long at all comparatviely alongside your average indian, that may not have even seen an african before. india actually has huge amount of nigerian and west african footballers playing in its eastern zone league, and has done since the 1980s
    thats not to say india doesnt have racist ppl in it, all nations do , including black ppl btw
    That's a lovely post you wrote but it does not change the fact that black people and other people with darker skin get treated badly in countries like India where light skin seems to set the standards of beauty. Giving us a history lesson does not change the fact that this mentality (light skin makes you more beautiful and means you get better treatment) is very strong among these people and it is not changing nearly as fast as most of us want it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    That's a lovely post you wrote but it does not change the fact that black people and other people with darker skin get treated badly in countries like India where light skin seems to set the standards of beauty. Giving us a history lesson does not change the fact that this mentality (light skin makes you more beautiful and means you get better treatment) is very strong among these people and it is not changing nearly as fast as most of us want it to.
    People with dark skin get treated badly only in north India, in the south you never see these kind of things happening.

ReputationRep:
    And you are surprised?

ReputationRep:
    People with dark skin get treated badly only in north India, in the south you never see these kind of things happening.
    My mum's tamil friend is chocolate brown but still racist to Africans, why is that?

ReputationRep:
    Why do white women tan to look brown?
    White women tan to look healthy, pale skin can be seen a sign of sickness. Also to show that they are rich enough to afford a holiday abroad/tanning beds.
    Interesting how it was the other way around in Europe some time ago. In fact white women were prepared to use arsenic based compounds to whiten their skin:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20skin&f=false

Basically, you cannot win! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    My mum's tamil friend is chocolate brown but still racist to Africans, why is that?
    Can you explain what do you mean by racist to Africans?

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain what do you mean by racist to Africans?
    Racist- as in saying 'Oh my god, I can't believe that girl married a black man'
    Why does she have the shock and disgust that North Indians also have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndianMuslim)
    Interesting how it was the other way around in Europe some time ago. In fact white women were prepared to use arsenic based compounds to whiten their skin:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20skin&f=false

Basically, you cannot win! :lol:
    Yeah back then.
    Beauty standards change over time.

What is your 'you cannot win' point?

I don't disagree with facts and the reasons I gave for why white women tan now don't go away with your arsenic skin whitening reason.

ReputationRep:
    Tamil women make themselves fairer because of that racism in India.

I agree with your second paragraph, but both North and South Indians are all mixed now. North Indians probably have more Aryan genes and South Indians probably have more dravidian genes.
    It's also down to caste too in India. Think of Hema Malini, she's a Tamil brahmin so she's very fair skinned - more Aryan. A north Indian of lower castes tend to be darker in skin colour.
    who told you that?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to visit India but worry about this most of all. Of course that won't stop me; I'm hardly a stranger to facing racism abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    who told you that?
    I'm not the only one who was told that.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-white-g...n-mind?share=1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.