Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I did the UKCAT in summer 2013 with probably one weeks prep and I got 600.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do well? Are there any resources I should use to prepare? When's the best time to do it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kel_Med)
    Hey!

My best tip would be to prepare as much as you can! The first thing I'd say is get Medify, that website is incredible and totally worth the subscription, and gives you personal feedback on your progress, what you struggle with and etc. I found it a lot better than the "600 ukcat question" book, as doing it on a computer gets you in the write mindset.

The earlier you start your prep the better, I found doing 30 minutes to an hour every day really helpful. Also it's good to focus on your weak spots but don't neglect the sections you're good at!

People will say you don't need to prep to do really well just be familiar with the style of questions, and that is true to an extent but doing the preparation will make you a lot better... i.e if you're naturally a 650 candidate the xtra prep could push you to 680-700 and so on.

Personally I'd say buy a Medify subscription and the 600 question book, and alternate between. If you have the money, I've heard good things about the courses on the UKCAT by various companies but they are quite expensive and I do not have any personal experience with them so there's not much advice i can give on those.

Best of luck, feel free to PM.
    Oh wow! That has got to be the best advice anyone has given me, thanks for the very detailed reply!

I will definitely invest in medify, I was really disappointed with my result a few years ago but I guess I didn't prepare enough and hopefully after doing a degree I'm somewhat better at it :/

Are you a med student by any chance?

Thanks again for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get Medify. Personally I found the 600Q book out of date but there was a good Kaplan book. I also went on the Kaplan course which isn't essential but was really good. I got 710

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryman97)
    Definitely get Medify. Personally I found the 600Q book out of date but there was a good Kaplan book. I also went on the Kaplan course which isn't essential but was really good. I got 710
    Thank you for the reply!

I used 600Q book first time round but I'll try medify alongisde it this time

Well done on your UKCAT score!

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Yeah that seemed to be the case for me. After a-levels I got 645 and in the second year of my degree 685, still not the greatest score but an improvement!

Not yet, holding an offer and waiting for a uni to get back, so revising hard to get that 2:1 and get in
    Ah that's great, hopefully I improve, I'll drop you a PM!

ReputationRep:
    In addition to studying make sure you book the test for the time of day you funtion best at. For me this was getting an 11am slot and practicing around that time of day with on screen calculators and bongard problems. I also made sure I slept well, ate good food and was hydrated in the run up to the test. If you aren't healthy you won't perform to the best of your potential no matter how many test websites you subscribe to.

I didn't really do much to prep for test 1 and got 687.5 (7th decile) in the freak year that was 2013, did a month of medify and read some books and got 665 (8th decile) in 2014 and last year I just made sure to use an on screen calculator a lot and read up on Bongard problems (AR was always significantly lower than my second lowest score). Feeling really good on test day made a huge difference (705 / 9th decile). Taking the test twice before is obviously a big help too!

ReputationRep:

If you have the money, I've heard good things about the courses on the UKCAT by various companies but they are quite expensive and I do not have any personal experience with them so there's not much advice i can give on those.
    I did the course in June 2015, the main advantage is that they give you a book with loads of extra questions, as well as 6 full online mock tests and that practice can be quite helpful. They do give advice on the structure of the test and timing etc. but as you already have experience with the UKCAT I'm not sure how helpful that would be.
    Best of luck☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.