Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't find a thread/any humans resitting this exam. Feel free to contribute notes or literally any help at all because this exam is awful haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting this! Along with half my class...

I agree, this exam is so hard! What texts are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting this too - my texts are Birdsong, Tennyson, Keats and Enduring Love by McEwan. How is everyone feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    half my class is also resitting this my texts are The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and the poetry of Frost and Browning. Im feeling a little better about it this year than last but still very unsure. Found this post very useful if you haven't read it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873067

ReputationRep:
    My texts are Browning, Frost, Enduring Love and The Great Gatsby.

How have all your teachers told you to do the how's the story told question in section A? My teachers seem to disagree on how it should be done so I am so confused...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathyHeathcliff)
    My texts are Browning, Frost, Enduring Love and The Great Gatsby.

How have all your teachers told you to do the how's the story told question in section A? My teachers seem to disagree on how it should be done so I am so confused...
    yeah, I got nothing from my teachers they don't know :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: apparently considering my teachers refuse to give me grades on resit essays as they're 'not really sure how to grade it'. I'm pretty sure that post is right though judging by mark scheme content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butts>exams)
    half my class is also resitting this my texts are The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby and the poetry of Frost and Browning. Im feeling a little better about it this year than last but still very unsure. Found this post very useful if you haven't read it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873067
    Thanks for this! V. helpful

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm doing Auden, Browning, The Great Gatsby and The Road.
    I was really disappointed with last years grade in this exam, but looking back at it now i realise that i was approaching the exam wrong (losing focus on the question, especially on the the odd numbered question where i totally didn't answer how the story was told xD). I have example essays that have scored high in actual exams from previous students at my school if anyone wants to look at them btw

ReputationRep:
    also do any of you have a list of narrative type things that could be asked in section B please ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieschofield)
    I was really disappointed with last years grade in this exam, but looking back at it now i realise that i was approaching the exam wrong (losing focus on the question, especially on the the odd numbered question where i totally didn't answer how the story was told xD). I have example essays that have scored high in actual exams from previous students at my school if anyone wants to look at them btw
    Yes please!! That would be sooo helpful

ReputationRep:
    would i be okay to message them to you tomorrow, i wouldn't want to post them here as it's not my work. I've also got other ones from actual exams that i found online so I'll send them too?

ReputationRep:
    What grades did you all get in this exam, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm just curious as only one person in my year got above a C)

I'll go first and say that I was hoping for an A and got a low C (B overall).

ReputationRep:
    I was aiming for an A, yet in the exam i scraped a C (72ums) ( which left me with a B overall as i got 74 ums on AS coursework. Trying to aim for the a/a* this year though.

ReputationRep:
    would i be okay to message them to you tomorrow, i wouldn't want to post them here as it's not my work. I've also got other ones from actual exams that i found online so I'll send them too?
    Me too please! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad to find this thread! Hey everyone!! 😁 I'm studying by myself this year, using brand new texts as well, so any help and advice is very welcome. I'm doing Keats, Tennyson, The Road and Gatsby.

Anyone else doing The Road?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm also doing The Road and haven't been able to find any essays on it! Do you have any you could share?

I've also been making a very thorough revision guide that I can share with you if you like! With anyone that wants, it really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borbv)
    Hey! I'm also doing The Road and haven't been able to find any essays on it! Do you have any you could share?

I've also been making a very thorough revision guide that I can share with you if you like! With anyone that wants, it really!
    hello! i have 1 section A on The Road from a past student at my school who did it in the real exam, although it didn't achieve many marks. But i guess it would be useful to see common mistakes etc? i have section B answers that include the Road though, so i'll send you them tomorrow!

Also the revision guide sounds great btw! i have a powerpoint that my teacher used while teaching the road, so I'll send you that too. I don't know about notes for the road atm because i haven't sorted through my english AS stuff, but if i find anything i'll let you know

ReputationRep:
    hello! i have 1 section A on The Road from a past student at my school who did it in the real exam, although it didn't achieve many marks. But i guess it would be useful to see common mistakes etc? i have section B answers that include the Road though, so i'll send you them tomorrow!

Also the revision guide sounds great btw! i have a powerpoint that my teacher used while teaching the road, so I'll send you that too. I don't know about notes for the road atm because i haven't sorted through my english AS stuff, but if i find anything i'll let you know
    That sounds great! Thank you so much! I will send you my revision guide too!

ReputationRep:
    I have two questions.

1. Have your teachers told you which text to write about in Section A? Because I've been reading a lot of people saying that they have been told which text to do but we have a free choice. Is that a good or bad thing?

2. How do you structure your how's the story told questions for section A?
    a) Do a paragraph on a particular aspect of narrative like narrative voice, setting, etc. and then move on and talk about a different one separately.
    b) Talk about several aspects of narrative in conjunction with each other and work your way through the poem/chapter chronologically.
    c) Any other way.

Different teachers have told me different things so I'm just wondering what all your teachers have told you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathyHeathcliff)
    I have two questions.

1. Have your teachers told you which text to write about in Section A? Because I've been reading a lot of people saying that they have been told which text to do but we have a free choice. Is that a good or bad thing?

2. How do you structure your how's the story told questions for section A?
    a) Do a paragraph on a particular aspect of narrative like narrative voice, setting, etc. and then move on and talk about a different one separately.
    b) Talk about several aspects of narrative in conjunction with each other and work your way through the poem/chapter chronologically.
    c) Any other way.

Different teachers have told me different things so I'm just wondering what all your teachers have told you.
    In regards to question one, we got a free choice last year but one of our teachers is an examiner and she advised us to do poems this year in section one. She said it's quite difficult to do a book and list everything and out of all the papers she has marked, she said no one did well in the books for section A (I'm not saying it's impossible to do well in a book for section A, i'm simply reiterating the advice we were given. Poems are generally easier I think)

As for the second question, we were told to first pin down the story in 2-3 sentences so we don't end up doing it throughout the essay. I generally tend to start each paragraph with a point that answers the question, for example, 'Browning tells the story in My Last Duchess through the use of a dramatic monologue' and then go on to explain 'How'.
    I think this conforms to part a) in your question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.