Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathyHeathcliff)
    I have two questions.

1. Have your teachers told you which text to write about in Section A? Because I've been reading a lot of people saying that they have been told which text to do but we have a free choice. Is that a good or bad thing?

2. How do you structure your how's the story told questions for section A?
    a) Do a paragraph on a particular aspect of narrative like narrative voice, setting, etc. and then move on and talk about a different one separately.
    b) Talk about several aspects of narrative in conjunction with each other and work your way through the poem/chapter chronologically.
    c) Any other way.

Different teachers have told me different things so I'm just wondering what all your teachers have told you.
    Hi! I think having a free choice is good, because anything could come up for section A even question, so you should be prepared for more than one text. I would say do lots of mocks and see which texts you are more comfortable with in section A and prepare for this. But remember that section A uneven question and section B are quite similar, so when deciding which text to write on, look at section A even question.

I've read in an examiner's report (can't remember which) that you should NOT go through the text chronologically, but point out specific use of devices. Also, I think that when you write about a particular device, like use of poetic register, and you give different examples of it, it gives you the opportunity to talk about structure too, which is great!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I put together a blog where you can find all my resources on the LITB1 and LITB3 papers. My texts are The Road, Gatsby, Tennyson, Keats, Wuthering Heights, Macbeth and Bloody Chamber. I also have general notes on how to approach the exams. :-)

http://litb1and3revisionprovision.tumblr.com/

Val

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathyHeathcliff)
    What grades did you all get in this exam, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm just curious as only one person in my year got above a C)

I'll go first and say that I was hoping for an A and got a low C (B overall).
    I was aiming for an A (predicted an A* this year) but only got a lowish B so not brilliant - such a hard paper!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone have any predictions for the exam? I know it could be on anything but something that hasn't come up for a while or never perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livcarter)
    Hey, does anyone have any predictions for the exam? I know it could be on anything but something that hasn't come up for a while or never perhaps?
    For which texts and for which parts? For Tennyson Section A I reckon either Godiva (again) or Lady of Shallott.

ReputationRep:
    Ah hope so, I'm doing Tennyson or Browning for section a, any predictions for b?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieschofield)
    Hey! I'm doing Auden, Browning, The Great Gatsby and The Road.
    I was really disappointed with last years grade in this exam, but looking back at it now i realise that i was approaching the exam wrong (losing focus on the question, especially on the the odd numbered question where i totally didn't answer how the story was told xD). I have example essays that have scored high in actual exams from previous students at my school if anyone wants to look at them btw
    Could you send me them too pleasee

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could you please send me the Browning one ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! For anyone doing Tennyson: what do you think is the significance of those religious references that Tennyson puts in Godiva? Like the Earl swearing by Peter and Paul, and the reference to Esau's rough hands, and the mention of "the Powers" at the end? All of these things seem to kind of stand out in the poem to me, but I'm not quite sure I fully understand them... Any help would be great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borbv)
    Hey guys! For anyone doing Tennyson: what do you think is the significance of those religious references that Tennyson puts in Godiva? Like the Earl swearing by Peter and Paul, and the reference to Esau's rough hands, and the mention of "the Powers" at the end? All of these things seem to kind of stand out in the poem to me, but I'm not quite sure I fully understand them... Any help would be great, thanks!
    I would take it as an inference to the 'cruel earl' believing he is above something even as strong and powerful as religion - which supports the idea of him having a very inflated ego - this then makes when Godiva walks through the streets even more powerful as she is seeking power over someone who only really has power in their own head (the earl)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Keats, browning, Gatsby and kite runner!
    I got a mid B and a high B on my CW which gave me a B overall. I'm resitting so hopefully I can get an A this time round!

ReputationRep:
    I was really disappointed with last years grade in this exam, but looking back at it now i realise that i was approaching the exam wrong (losing focus on the question, especially on the the odd numbered question where i totally didn't answer how the story was told xD). I have example essays that have scored high in actual exams from previous students at my school if anyone wants to look at them btw
    Hey! Would i be able to have a look at some of the samples please?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by butts>exams)
    I can't find a thread/any humans resitting this exam. Feel free to contribute notes or literally any help at all because this exam is awful haha
    Thanks for making this thread OP! I've added it to the A Level Exam Directory Thread, which can be found over here :parrot: use that thread to find discussion threads on any other exams you're taking!

Good luck on this exam everybody, I'm sure you'll all do great! :king1:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Could anyone tell me what came up on the exam last year for Keats, Tennyson, Gatsby and The Road? I'm trying to come up with predictions, so I can be better prepared! If anyone else has any predictions as well that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by borbv)
    Hi guys!

Could anyone tell me what came up on the exam last year for Keats, Tennyson, Gatsby and The Road? I'm trying to come up with predictions, so I can be better prepared! If anyone else has any predictions as well that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! Have you had a look on the tsr past papers bank? Here is the list for AQA English Papers. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Robert Frost poetry for section A? If so, do you have any resources on 'The Draft Horse' and 'Ax Helve' as my notes for these are pretty scarce!

For Section B I am doing small island, kite runner and The rime of the ancient mariner.

Let me know if you would like any of my revision resources and if you could send some to me too that would be great.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How close is 86 UMS to an A?

ReputationRep:
    Hey one of my texts is also Birdsong and I was wondering if you have any advice on how to revise the text as it is quite a chunky novel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Tennyson's poems? Do you know any context? I can't remember anything from last year

ReputationRep:
    Could I also have the example essay please, it'll be v.helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.