Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my last year at uni and going to go travelling September/October time. I've got no one to go with so going it alone, which is fine cause then I can do everything my way. I don't really know how to go about everything though, I'm a bit of a planner/organiser so winging it and finding hostels when I get there (I don't know where I'm going yet) scares me a bit. Anyone got any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I hope your travels go well. Do you have a fixed destination or direction that you want to go to?
    • When entering a new city make sure to check what areas to avoid so you don't end up in a dangerous location. Avoid alleys like the plague, don't get black-out drunk.
    • Make sure you know where the nearest Police Stations and Hospitals are, in case of emergency.
    • If going abroad, check the laws for that location. They may be different, especially if said area is highly religious, adjust your behaviour or actions accordingly. Also check local food for allergens.
    • Try to avoid looking like a tourist. Walk confidently and without valuables in sight. Pickpockets often target these people. On that note, make sure your belongings are secure and not likely to get lost or stolen. I'd recommend investing in a money belt that carries the things you absolutely cannot lose -- i.e. keys, debit card, phone or spare phone, etc.
    • Always have enough money to pay for a train or taxi fare in case you get lost or stranded. Keep it separate from spending money.
    • When in a new area don't walk around with headphones on as they distract you from your surroundings.
    • Check the weather patterns en route. Try to avoid getting tagged by bad weather especially if you're a motorcyclist.
    • Beware roaming charges where applicable.
    Websites that you might find useful: BecomeNomad and HashtagNomads. The first has some decent info, the second is more of a network for nomads (travellers) which might be useful, I've never used it so I can't be sure. The second one especially though can apparently be used to contact people who have passed through or stopped in the area you're going to, so you can ask those people what hotels and areas they'd recommend visiting. Again, I haven't used that site yet, I've only noted it down. Use at your own caution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallygirl)
    I'm in my last year at uni and going to go travelling September/October time. I've got no one to go with so going it alone, which is fine cause then I can do everything my way. I don't really know how to go about everything though, I'm a bit of a planner/organiser so winging it and finding hostels when I get there (I don't know where I'm going yet) scares me a bit. Anyone got any advice?
    Have you got somewhere particular you are looking to go to? And do you have a time scale?

My advice is don't overplan if u can. Book a hostel for your first few nights and then when u decide where else you want to go just book travel and accomodation the day before or a few days in advice. Means if u meet others who are going somewhere that sounds good you arnt tied down and can change plans.

ReputationRep:
    Hi fallygirl!

If I may help you, I have been using the hostelworld.com website to find hostels where I could stay when I travel abroad. The hostels have reviews and ratings so you will know what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ellej93.

You should really be using Hostelz.com instead (http://www.hostelz.com). It's a better way to find more authentic reviews of more hostels, and it also shows you all on one page how each hostel is rated on all those booking sites and also which booking site is the cheapest for each hostel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallygirl)
    Hi,
    If you travel alone, i think you should choose safe place to travel like Southeast Asia. When i began travel around the world, I choose SEA to travel including Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. If you need more information, you can ask me.
    Happy travels!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.