Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in my second year of sixth form/college, doing AS-Levels in Economics, Business Studies and ICT. I flunked my second year so badly as I finished with a U in psychology and a D in business. This motivated me to get my **** together and this year I achieved three As in my mocks and I am expected an A in each subject.
    Looking at options for university, I would like to go into a good business administration/management degree or an IT/Computer science degree...
    However, all of the options I look at require Mathematics A grade at AS/A-Level. This would result in me either fast tracking it or taking it for just the AS-Level. I struggled with maths at GCSE and was expected a D, but I got a tutor and ended up top of my class with a B...
    I would like to know, how much of a jump is mathematics from GCSE to A-Level? I will be willing to take extra classes every week etc, I just want to learn about anyone else's experiences, Thank you, Luke.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm in my first year, doing my AS-Levels. I'm on my last module and I'm predicted an A (Full marks) in each module.

Personally i found that there was no jump what so ever and i just managed to get an A in GCSE maths, actually to be honest i find it easier, because there aren't as many topics to cover.
    For example in OCR Core 1, the main topics are;

Indices
    Polynomials
    Differentiation
    Graphs
    Algebra

You wouldn't have to take many extra classes. The difference between doing well in A level maths isn't about how much you know, it's about doing as many past papers as you can and improving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B.reynolds26799)
    Well I'm in my first year, doing my AS-Levels. I'm on my last module and I'm predicted an A (Full marks) in each module.

Personally i found that there was no jump what so ever and i just managed to get an A in GCSE maths, actually to be honest i find it easier, because there aren't as many topics to cover.
    For example in OCR Core 1, the main topics are;

Indices
    Polynomials
    Differentiation
    Graphs
    Algebra

You wouldn't have to take many extra classes. The difference between doing well in A level maths isn't about how much you know, it's about doing as many past papers as you can and improving.
    Thanks for the response! My reason for wanting to take extra classes is due to the fact I've hardly used maths (Apart from accounts in business and percentage changes in economics) in the past 2 years therefore I think I'll need a bit of brushing up on the basics.
    However I was also wondering could I pass with a good grade by simply knowing the AS syllabus, or will it require a good background of the basics of maths? (Which would probably be covered in extra classes and/or tutoring.)

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have basic algebra skills from gcse, e.g. factorising, indice laws you'll be fine, as nothing at gcse is required for A level, because you will cover it all again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.