Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M&S launches "burkini" range in UK to cater to muslim women Watch

ReputationRep:
    High street retailer Marks & Spencer now stocks full-length swimwear, dubbed the 'burkini'.

According to M&S the £49.50 swimsuit:Covers the whole body with the exception of the face, hands and feet, without compromising on style... It's lightweight so you can swim in comfort

Just posting as found it something of an amusing article.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they could launch a chastity belt range too!

It must be nice wearing that though. It basically says "all you other women wearing bikinis and swimsuits are whores who will burn in Hell, but I won't". What a lovely sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    M&S is a business looking to make money, hardly a story.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see why this is news, amazon have been selling these for time. theres loads of burkinis here in saudi from sports direct and stuff. even i have one, im not going to wear a bikini or swimsuit when i go swimming with my family and my dad and brothers are around.

ReputationRep:
    That's great
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Muslims aren't the only one who'd wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    i dont see why this is news, amazon have been selling these for time. theres loads of burkinis here in saudi from sports direct and stuff. even i have one, im not going to wear a bikini or swimsuit when i go swimming with my family and my dad and brothers are around.
    Are you muslim?

because if you arent I can only imagine wearing a burkini in public to feel like the most awkward experience ever

Also if you feel self-conscious around your family, just wear a non-revealing one piece

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It looks very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    even i have one, im not going to wear a bikini or swimsuit when i go swimming with my family and my dad and brothers are around.
    Why though? I would hope your dad and brothers aren't attracted to you? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Muslims aren't the only one who'd wear it.
    This is literally the most confusing thing I have seen in a long while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    Are you muslim?

because if you arent I can only imagine wearing a burkini in public to feel like the most awkward experience ever
    yeah i am.

(Original post by Jenx301)
    Why though? I would hope your dad and brothers aren't attracted to you? :lolwut:
    of course but why would i be half naked in front of my family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    M&S is a business looking to make money, hardly a story.
    Aye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Why?
    it would feel really awkward, its like wearing bra and knickers in from of them. its just something i couldnt do

ReputationRep:
    Lol, that's just a burka you can swim in. Doesn't justify using "kini" in the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    yeah i am.

It's just skin, what's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    yeah i am.

Surely being half naked in front of family is preferable to being half naked in front of strangers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Maybe they could launch a chastity belt range too!

It must be nice wearing that though. It basically says "all you other women wearing bikinis and swimsuits are whores who will burn in Hell, but I won't". What a lovely sentiment.
    99.9% sure that Muslim women don't wear full body coverings to avoid Hell or as a judgement on other women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    why would i be half naked in front of my family.
    Well it isn't really half naked to wear a regular swimming costume - the only part of your body that's out is your legs. It's practical for swimming. By covering up all your body you are sexualising it - if your family can't handle a pair of legs in a swimming pool then that's the problem. Just seems very odd to me.

Name:  ZC03    03   21.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  168.5 KB
    Name:  Womens_Swimming_Costumes.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  49.9 KB

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.