The Student Room Group

Would i be able to do engineering?

I am currently a A2 student studying Physics Business and As maths. I have an offer to do Foundation entry to progress to Aerospace Engineering at University of Liverpool. I am already a retake student as in this is my 3rd year at college. I got an E last year in As maths and i am retaking this.
I am confident in physics however i have very poor maths skills, maybe because i don't work as hard and it bores me. Someone told me the maths in engineering degrees is very difficult and that i might struggle. I know i will brush up my maths skills in the foundation year however i don't want to come out with anything lower than a 2:1 in my degree or even worse fail a year. Im just asking should i risk going into a degree and potentially wasting a lot of money or apply to something more hands on like an apprenticeship as a Surveyor. I really like the look of the Aerospace industry but a degree seems out of my league.
Reply 1
Original post by Santokh
I am currently a A2 student studying Physics Business and As maths. I have an offer to do Foundation entry to progress to Aerospace Engineering at University of Liverpool. I am already a retake student as in this is my 3rd year at college. I got an E last year in As maths and i am retaking this.
I am confident in physics however i have very poor maths skills, maybe because i don't work as hard and it bores me. Someone told me the maths in engineering degrees is very difficult and that i might struggle. I know i will brush up my maths skills in the foundation year however i don't want to come out with anything lower than a 2:1 in my degree or even worse fail a year. Im just asking should i risk going into a degree and potentially wasting a lot of money or apply to something more hands on like an apprenticeship as a Surveyor. I really like the look of the Aerospace industry but a degree seems out of my league.

The maths in engineering would be difficult if you really struggle with A-level. From talking to actual engineers however you pretty much never use any of it after leaving university. The maths supports the science and the science supports... using CAD and computer modelling! (note: I might not know what I'm talking about)

Apprenticeships in mechanical / aerospace engineering are definitely an alternative, you can get the same professional accredition as someone with a university degree.

Doing well in maths is 95% hard work, as indeed is doing well in nearly everything when you get to uni.

Also you could do a technical apprenticeship to become a machinist / welder / electricitian etc. They don't earn much less than engineers.
Original post by Santokh

If you are struggling to get more than an E in AS maths then I really don't think studying engineering at an undergraduate level is for you.
Original post by Santokh

If you can get yourself up to an A grade in maths you'll be able to do engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest