Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I find it really ironic that the leave campaign is constantly accusing stay voters of fearmongering. The Brussels attacks hadn't even finished when these cretins started telling us how the evil Muslims are coming for us next.

Disgusting, opportunist behaviour from people who have to manipulate through fear because they don't have any facts on their side.

ReputationRep:
    Um, are you suggesting it's a coincidence that two of the worst terrorist attacks by jihadists in Europe have come following the open-door immigration policy the EU seems so fond on? I'm not even necessarily saying that we should leave the EU - I'm undecided but leaning towards leaving - but unless you're saying that these attacks aren't a direct result of the ease of access middle easterners have had over the past 18 months, then it isn't fearmongering. It's a legitimate concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    Um, are you suggesting it's a coincidence that two of the worst terrorist attacks by jihadists in Europe have come following the open-door immigration policy the EU seems so fond on? I'm not even necessarily saying that we should leave the EU - I'm undecided but leaning towards leaving - but unless you're saying that these attacks aren't a direct result of the ease of access middle easterners have had over the past 18 months, then it isn't fearmongering. It's a legitimate concern.
    The leaders of both the Paris and Brussels attacks were childhood friends FROM BELGIUM. This is a fact. They were born, raised and lived all their lives IN EUROPE. They didn't come from Syria. I really can't fathom how you've managed to blame Syrian immigration for the actions of Belgians.

The Brussels attacker didn't even need to leave his country. He was radicalised and committed the attacks in the country he was born in.

So yes, I'm suggesting it's a coincidence. But of course, people would like to convince themselves otherwise and pretend that all our problems will end if we leave the EU.

Alternatively, maybe it's not a coincidence. It would benefit ISIS to destabilize the EU, which they could do by timing their attacks so that people blame them on the EU. In which case we'd be giving them exactly what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    The leaders of both the Paris and Brussels attacks were childhood friends FROM BELGIUM. This is a fact. They were born, raised and lived all their lives IN EUROPE. They didn't come from Syria. I really can't fathom how you've managed to blame Syrian immigration for the actions of Belgians.

The Brussels attacker didn't even need to leave his country. He was radicalised and committed the attacks in the country he was born in.

So yes, I'm suggesting it's a coincidence. But of course, people would like to convince themselves otherwise and pretend that all our problems will end if we leave the EU.

Alternatively, maybe it's not a coincidence. It would benefit ISIS to destabilize the EU, which they could do by timing their attacks so that people blame them on the EU. In which case we'd be giving them exactly what they want.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:

They were from Belgium, yes. But most of the members of the terrorist cells had travelled to Syria extensively in the build-up to the attacks, certainly abdeslam. They had been trained by IS, briefed by IS and armed by IS. I'm certainly not doubting that there are nutjobs from Europe. But so far as I can recall. every single terrorist attack has had some direct link to travel in the middle east.

And asides from that, you're also missing the subtler ramification of the uncontrolled migration. It's massively increased the number of potential terrorists, which puts huge strain on our intelligence agencies and makes it more likely that a plot be missed. Certainly, it's been said in press releases that there are significantly more terrorist plots now than there were even a couple years ago. Before open-door immigration, it was not too hard for the intelligence agencies to keep tabs on all those who were radically islamic and had travelled to the middle east. Now, it's utterly impossible.

And for the record, suggesting that ISIS' attacks are aimed at swinging the British EU referendum outcome is ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    Politicising the attacks - from either angle - is callous.

ReputationRep:
    I find it really ironic that the leave campaign is constantly accusing stay voters of fearmongering. The Brussels attacks hadn't even finished when these cretins started telling us how the evil Muslims are coming for us next.

Disgusting, opportunist behaviour from people who have to manipulate through fear because they don't have any facts on their side.
    Who is telling us how evil Muslims are coming for us next? Can you be more specific? And say what they actually said that you object to?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I will be glad when its over then I hope both sides shut up about it.

ReputationRep:

Watch the program this week on it and you will actually see that the open door policy via turkey allowed them in and out from Syria.

Think it was dispatches

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by paul514)
    Watch the program this week on it and you will actually see that the open door policy via turkey allowed them in and out from Syria.

Think it was dispatches

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would that make a difference if they were born in the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why would that make a difference if they were born in the EU?
    The clue was the first word in my last post, watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You know someone's missing their medical pills when they claim it is the leave campaign responsible for most of the scare mongering. I don't recall hearing a single positive reason for staying from the in campaign lol
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The clue was the first word in my last post, watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so you cant explain it even briefly?

ReputationRep:
    so you cant explain it even briefly?
    No I'd rather people see it with their own eyes if they have enough interest to comment on a thread like this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The real fearmongery is those ridiculous ads on youtube from the remain camp.

"Jobs dependent on EU," pfft. Those jobs are dependent on trade not the EU so they wont be affected 'cause we can just make trade deals when we leave. Besides, the stats used are heavily outdated.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No I'd rather people see it with their own eyes if they have enough interest to comment on a thread like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fine if your unable to explain it thats cool. care to link us up to where interested people cna see it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

"Jobs dependent on EU," pfft. Those jobs are dependent on trade not the EU so they wont be affected 'cause we can just make trade deals when we leave. Besides, the stats used are heavily outdated.
    Not just that, I got a leaflet on staying in the EU and it said that we'd be safer in the EU and that our tourism would flop if we left.

Ironic because of the terrorism attacks and others countries who aren't in any sort of union are doing fine with tourism.

ReputationRep:
    Fine if your unable to explain it thats cool. care to link us up to where interested people cna see it?
    I'm sure people can find a tv episode from last week themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

The stats are actually really funny it's every employee in a company that trades with an eu country

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'm sure people can find a tv episode from last week themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
    8. Britain's Pensioner Care ScandalSeason 15 - Apr 4, 20167.
    Secrets of CadburySeason 15 - Mar 21, 20166.
    Housing Benefit MillionairesSeason 15 - Mar 14, 20165.
    Council House MillionairesSeason 15 - Mar 7, 20164.
    Dirty Secrets: What's Really in Our Air?Season 15 - Feb 22, 20163.
    999: Where's My Ambulance?Season 15 - Feb 15, 20162.
    How the Rich Avoid TaxSeason 15 - Feb 8, 20161.
    Where's My Missing MailSeason 15 - Feb 1, 2016

?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.