Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im planing on doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics at A level. My question is, what is the best degree(s) to get a career in banking/finance?
    Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Accounting and Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotFlash)
    Accounting and Finance.
    But why? and am i doing the right A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldtheduck)
    But why? and am i doing the right A levels?

Look at jobs related to finance and their requirements..... You will find a degree in Accounting and Finance/Finance is very useful

Your A-levels look good.

ReputationRep:
    Look at jobs related to finance and their requirements..... You will find a degree in Accounting and Finance/Finance is very useful

Your A-levels look good.
    Awesome thanks

ReputationRep:
    But why?
    You want to get into finance and you're asking why a degree in accounting and finance is best? Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Maths and physics and can also get you a job in finance I believe due to the quantitatiive skills you gains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    You want to get into finance and you're asking why a degree in accounting and finance is best? Seriously?
    lol, I just thought maybe a maths degree or something could come in more handy.

ReputationRep:
    I heard maths is very good for finance

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im planing on doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics at A level. My question is, what is the best degree(s) to get a career in banking/finance?
    Any help is appreciated
    Maths, engineering, a&f, business, economics,

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go into I.B. the university is more important. If you want to be a quant you'll need a PhD or at least a Masters in something like Mathematics, Engineering or CS.

You need to be more specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Maths and physics and can also get you a job in finance I believe due to the quantitatiive skills you gains
    Im only doing physics in case i want to do a maths degree!

ReputationRep:
    Economics probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    Economics probably
    That's also what i thought lol

Accounting and Finance.
    Do good Unis offer that at undergraduate level though?

Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial don't, to the best of my knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)

Cambridge and Imperial don't, to the best of my knowledge
    Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    That's also what i thought lol
    There's also Management which includes Accounting, Maths, Economics etc in the different modules

ReputationRep:

Depends how good of a uni you want to go to I guess. You would have to look yourself for the answer to that question though.

I study at Liverpool which is a fairly reputable uni. No problem getting into the top 5 accounting firms.

ReputationRep:

Exactly. Accounting is a specific field within finance, OP needs to get a broad idea of the specific area of finance rather just asking this, if he knew specifically what sort of thing he would be doing when he goes to work, he would be able to answer his own question tbh...

Warwick?
    Yeah, Warwick does it apparently. Still, I hear (take what I say with a pinch of salt) that a degree in Maths would do almost as well, and imo, it offers other opportunities, in case you change your mind on what career you want to do (much more likely than you'd expect). A Maths degree also sounds much more interesting

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.