Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I received an offer from both and initially I was set on Latymer as I didn't expect an offer from Harris and now I have an offer from both and I don't know what to do.

I never attended Harris' open day as I could not make it but I feel like as it is a new school, in the heart of London and run by Westminster it will offer so many opportunities.

But Latymer is a long established grammar school, who send 30-40 students to Oxbridge a year and gets around 76% As in As levels. I don't know what Harris gets as they haven't put their results up and they sent 10 to Oxbridge- which is amazing as it was their first year sending students to Oxbridge, they've been open for a few years and their cohort is smaller.

ReputationRep:
    Well done!
    Latymer all the way for me as this is an old established school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Well done!
    Latymer all the way for me as this is an old established school.
    thank you, that's what I'm in contemplation about. They obviously know what they are doing as they have been open for a very long time but I feel if Harris published their results I could come to a decision

ReputationRep:
    HARRIS ACADEMY ALL THE WAY! (i'm probably being biased because I go to one XD)
    However, the harris way to teaching is highly effective! The harris I went to has risen to the top 5% of highly achieving schools in the country over the course of 4 years from when it became an academy. Also, the exposure to the heart of London would give you more independence to the busy transportation of London, a skill that will be highly useful to you in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebxnyxo)
    HARRIS ACADEMY ALL THE WAY! (i'm probably being biased because I go to one XD)
    However, the harris way to teaching is highly effective! The harris I went to has risen to the top 5% of highly achieving schools in the country over the course of 4 years from when it became an academy. Also, the exposure to the heart of London would give you more independence to the busy transportation of London, a skill that will be highly useful to you in the future.
    the teaching seemed amazing from my interview, I think it would have made it so much more easy to come to a decision if they published their results so I could compare. I was really impressed by the location and exposure to London's landmarks and how the school facilitates this into the school life

ReputationRep:
    Well, I personally like HWSF better. When I visited Latymer first, it seemed quite... cold but I didn't care about that at first but then online, when I was researching on colleges and statistics, Latymer seemed to have a much lower "happiness" rating (as in how happy the students are) than most sixth forms/colleges. This made me really think about my choices and when I recieved an offer from HWSF, I digged deep and many students who go there describe the teaching to be phenomenal and the atmosphere to be light (my current school is strict and gives no rights to students at all) so I'd like a change. Also, getting to be near Central London seems quite exciting to me. I've lived in London all my life and haven't really seen it much at all so I'd like to see it every day as well as be able to say "I study in central" XD.

What draws me to HWSF the most, however, is the "cultural perspectives" (I think that's what they're called, where you get to also learn about other topics outside of your chosen subjects) because I think I personally would get bored learning the same 4 subjects all year so learning other things seems more exciting and it also will help broaden my knowledge over many topics.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. It all depends on you, at the end of the day. It all depends on what kind of teaching you like and what things you want to get from the school you go to. I hope this has helped at least a little (it's okay if it hasn't XD).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_infires)
    Well, I personally like HWSF better. When I visited Latymer first, it seemed quite... cold but I didn't care about that at first but then online, when I was researching on colleges and statistics, Latymer seemed to have a much lower "happiness" rating (as in how happy the students are) than most sixth forms/colleges. This made me really think about my choices and when I recieved an offer from HWSF, I digged deep and many students who go there describe the teaching to be phenomenal and the atmosphere to be light (my current school is strict and gives no rights to students at all) so I'd like a change. Also, getting to be near Central London seems quite exciting to me. I've lived in London all my life and haven't really seen it much at all so I'd like to see it every day as well as be able to say "I study in central" XD.

What draws me to HWSF the most, however, is the "cultural perspectives" (I think that's what they're called, where you get to also learn about other topics outside of your chosen subjects) because I think I personally would get bored learning the same 4 subjects all year so learning other things seems more exciting and it also will help broaden my knowledge over many topics.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. It all depends on you, at the end of the day. It all depends on what kind of teaching you like and what things you want to get from the school you go to. I hope this has helped at least a little (it's okay if it hasn't XD).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you very much, I've picked Harris but I've accepted both offers. Yeah, the only reason I thought of going to Latymer was it was a long established school but I spoke to a student from Harris and she gave me a better insight, which was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    I am a study currently studying in year 12 at HWSF doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. In my opinion the school is overrated as 10 out of about 120 students who got into Oxbridge which is less than 10% and these offers are conditional meaning they still have to get the grades to get into these top two universities. The cultural perspective is complete and utter BS as it is a waste of a 40 minutes which could be used for independent study or filled in with another lesson because at the end of the day the most important thing are the grades you achieve. Also there is Saturday school which many students don’t attend as they come to school tired and unfocused and don’t learn as much as they would have if they had been given a normal weekend like majority of the other students from other sixth forms. In addition, the level of teacher is enormous for instance the head of maths is a great teacher and all his students do well however, other teachers in the department know less mathematics than their own students, trust me I am saying this from personal experience. Last but not least the school building is terrible (7 floors with short corridors, a very small canteen, the study area is barely quiet and no common room) and its connection with Westminiter school is unseen as a very few students go to Westminster school to learn Latin, German and Drama however, there is no actual bond between the schools. Overall as you can see from what I have written I wouldn’t recommend HWSF for any bright student and regret going there myself and Laytmer would be a far greater sixth form to attend as they have a proven track record of great results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterm1)
    I am a study currently studying in year 12 at HWSF doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. In my opinion the school is overrated as 10 out of about 120 students who got into Oxbridge which is less than 10% and these offers are conditional meaning they still have to get the grades to get into these top two universities. The cultural perspective is complete and utter BS as it is a waste of a 40 minutes which could be used for independent study or filled in with another lesson because at the end of the day the most important thing are the grades you achieve. Also there is Saturday school which many students don’t attend as they come to school tired and unfocused and don’t learn as much as they would have if they had been given a normal weekend like majority of the other students from other sixth forms. In addition, the level of teacher is enormous for instance the head of maths is a great teacher and all his students do well however, other teachers in the department know less mathematics than their own students, trust me I am saying this from personal experience. Last but not least the school building is terrible (7 floors with short corridors, a very small canteen, the study area is barely quiet and no common room) and its connection with Westminiter school is unseen as a very few students go to Westminster school to learn Latin, German and Drama however, there is no actual bond between the schools. Overall as you can see from what I have written I wouldn’t recommend HWSF for any bright student and regret going there myself and Laytmer would be a far greater sixth form to attend as they have a proven track record of great results.
    ah, I see. Slightly worried but looking at Latymer for 2015 they got 21 into Oxbridge and have been open for centuries and Harris got almost half and have been open for 2 years. Isn't that good? I thought it was, give them a decade and I think they may smash it. Also, the Saturday school seems to be a pain for most people I've spoken to but I've been going to Greek school since 4 which starts at 9 so I don't think it'll be too bad. But it's helpful to get an idea, I've heard quite a few positive and yourself. How is everyone doing grades wise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thedaniellamary)
    ah, I see. Slightly worried but looking at Latymer for 2015 they got 21 into Oxbridge and have been open for centuries and Harris got almost half and have been open for 2 years. Isn't that good? I thought it was, give them a decade and I think they may smash it. Also, the Saturday school seems to be a pain for most people I've spoken to but I've been going to Greek school since 4 which starts at 9 so I don't think it'll be too bad. But it's helpful to get an idea, I've heard quite a few positive and yourself. How is everyone doing grades wise?
    I totally agree with you. I think 10 people into oxbridge with their first set of students is absolutely amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_infires)
    I totally agree with you. I think 10 people into oxbridge with their first set of students is absolutely amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah and aren't Latymer's cohort almost double or something? Harris had 125 student I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thedaniellamary)
    yeah and aren't Latymer's cohort almost double or something? Harris had 125 student I think
    Yeah so if you look at it that way, HWSF did what Latymer has done with their first set of students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.