Turn on thread page Beta

The Big Political Question - Fantasy Cabinet watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok folks, let's try and answer the greatest political question of them all - who would be in your superhero/super legends (e.g. Robin Hood)/fictional characters cabinet? And why? Probably best to choose just 1-5 nominations, but by all means, come up with a full catalogue if you want!

Here are my personal preferences:

Secretary of State for Business, Innovation, & Skills: Tony Stark, aka. Ironman. Sure this guy originally looked to destroy arms in the world by creating err, even more deadly weapons, but for crying out loud, he saved himself in a remote cave using less technology available than in a Scrapheap Challenge! Plus as leader of Stark Enterprises, a multi-billion pound organisation, he sure is gonna have good links with the business world.

Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change: Thor - the man produces lightning ffs. We'll harness his energy to ensure a secure supply and to damage the climate less.

Chancellor of the Exchequor: Robin Hood - Perhaps controversial choice as he's a tad to the left of the political spectrum what with his 'Rob from the rich, give to the poor' philosophy, but still noble sentiments nonetheless. However, do feel one'll need a miserly Chief Sec. to the Treasury to keep him in check...

Chief Secretary to the Treasury: Ebeneezer Scrooge - see above, scrimping money lender par excellence

And finally, Prime Minister: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Gandulf has got some dodgy extortion of Hobbits in the closet, so let's stick to the greatest wizard of them all, to provide the leadership
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ginger Blueboy)

Chancellor of the Exchequor: Robin Hood - Perhaps controversial choice as he's a tad to the left of the political spectrum what with his 'Rob from the rich, give to the poor' philosophy, but still noble sentiments nonetheless. However, do feel one'll need a miserly Chief Sec. to the Treasury to keep him in check...
    This thread shows how looney you are. I hardly see how committing illegal acts against those who worked hard FROM A YOUNG AGE to become rich is a "noble sentiment".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    This thread shows how looney you are. I hardly see how committing illegal acts against those who worked hard FROM A YOUNG AGE to become rich is a "noble sentiment".
    Prince John?

I always pictured Robin Hood as a libertarian fighting against the evil tax man: and thus justifying the loony right wing capitalist narrative
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Prince John?

I always pictured Robin Hood as a libertarian fighting against the evil tax man: and thus justifying the loony right wing capitalist narrative
    His idea would encompass those who got rich deservedly. There are of course those who do not deserve to be rich in your eyes, however they should exist, otherwise a large desire to work hard is gone.

ReputationRep:
    His idea would encompass those who got rich deservedly. There are of course those who do not deserve to be rich in your eyes, however they should exist, otherwise a large desire to work hard is gone.
    The overwhelming majority of the great thinkers, writers, inventors etc have done what they have done because it was their passion. Obviously material reward would be gratefully accepted in most cases, but I think prestige and passion far more important measures. When automation kicks off hard manual labour will largely be outdated.

ReputationRep:
    You need to brush up on your medieval history as there was hardly any social mobility back then and so the vast majority were simply born into wealth and status and therefore never needed to work hard from a young age. The legend of Robin Hood is based on daredevil violent heists to recoup money extorted and taxed from honest workers by the Sheriff and his rich cronies. The 'noble sentiments' I see therefore are in the idea of aiding and protecting the most vulnerable in society from exploitative elites/governments and a bit of redistribution of wealth to create greater 'equality of opportunity' perhaps.

Of course there are people who do not deserve to be rich, e.g. inheritors, and those make their wealth off the exploitation of others! Personally, I agree with Davij038 that prestige comes before money, but also I think there is a general ambition for all to continue to seek a higher standard of living generally.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.