Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stance on abortion? Watch

• View Poll Results: What Is your stance on abortion?
    Pro Life
    14.81%
    Pro Life, but try to make abortion less necessary
    14.81%
    Pro Choice
    66.67%
    Neutral
    3.70%
    Other (Post in thread)
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be interesting to see how people on the student room respond to this.

My stance is pro-life. I think that a fetus from around 10-15 weeks can be considered human as this is where the embryo tends to become a fetus. I think that abortion should be limited to cases of rape, incest, deformity, or when the parent is clearly not in a position to look after a child.

In response though, I would make contraceptives as easy as possible to obtain.

What are your thoughts on the issue.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm 100% pro choice and always have been. I can't think of any situation in which I would be against a women having an abortion. I agree it shouldn't be used as contraception. Its not very common but there will be some people out there who don't use condoms or any hormonal contraception at all and don't care because they "can just nip off for an abortion". Its a lot of hassle on both the women and a clinic to keep having to go for an abortion every so often when most of the time, the pill or any other kind of contraception can prevent pregnancy. Accidents with contraception do happen though, I know from experience.

To me, its a decision that is made between a woman, her partner and a doctor - no one else. No one should be forced into having an abortion and no one should be forced into continuing the pregnancy either. I support adoption too but lets face it, there are so many children in the care system and not enough people willing to adopt. Many couples want their own biological kid instead.

ReputationRep:
    Pro life.

For reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pro-choice. Always have, and always will be.
    A woman has a right to her own body.

ReputationRep:
    Pro life but making abortion less necessary. My own beliefs make me believe that killing anything is wrong. I see abortion as murder but I can understand why people do it. Anyways, with the right support the baby won't diminish the mother's life.

100% Pro choice, on abortion, euthanasia. All that jazz really.
    We own our bodies there we can do what we want to them

ReputationRep:
    Pro Life, but try to make abortion less necessary

ReputationRep:
    I am both, or I suppose my opinion is somewhat more complex than either. Early in a pregnancy I would have no qualms about abortion, as I don't consider a brainless ball of cells to be a person. Late in a pregnancy, when the foetus has a well-developed nervous system and responds to stimuli, I would have strong reservations if my (hypothetical) partner wanted to have an abortion. Where the dividing line is between those two stances - i.e. when during the pregnancy I would stop being comfortable with abortion - I am not entirely sure. I don't know what that makes me.

ReputationRep:
    Pro choice.

ReputationRep:
    I am pro choice. I think that women should have the right to choose what they're wanting to do and it shouldn't just be on the basis of rape or other circumstances. Some people, as already posted, might have been taking some form of contraception or have forgotten to take a pill or something, so therefore have no intention of having a baby. It's their life it would be affecting and it is a decision that'll lie with them for the rest of their life.

I do however don't encourage abortion as an easy route out or wouldn't encourage people doing it a few times as it could have a lot of different consequences, like having a psychological impact, physical impact on someone's life and costing a lot for our health service.

ReputationRep:
    Childbirth, and maternal separation from a newborn, are of course traumatic, but life is a precious gift that we should do our best to protect

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely pro-choice. No one should have the right to prevent someone having an abortion. If it weren't for our incessant need to tiptoe around religious sensibilities, this debate would be long over by now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.