Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Understanding Trump's popularity watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to see life from the point of view of those that are voting for him

This article helped me.

Here's a couple of clips for those that can't be bothered to read it:

Today, what wouldn't many of us give for the economic and social stability that gave resonance to Springsteen's lyrics? A union job, 30 years of work, a pension. Sounds sweet.

You can't afford to live where there is no work, you either have to uproot or at least risk not getting a medical condition you can't pay for.

You find a job, but unlike your daddy's job it isn't unionised, you work for less and you have very little security. When the economy slows, you know your job is at risk.

In short, hopelessness and fear makes people angry. If Trump offers understanding of their predicament and the hope and basic income security he is gonna get the vote of many of these Americans.

ReputationRep:
    Not bought and paid for is one of the big ones.

Trump isn't really a Republican or Democrat, he isn't well affiliated or linked with either party and is as far from an establishment politician as it gets. He's entirely his own man, with his own personal idea of what would be good for the country, that doesn't necessarily tie in with what any of the other carbon-copy GOP candidates are advocating. Whether you disagree with his policies or not, that concept in itself is enticing for a lot of voters.

ReputationRep:
    Sports analogy: it like switching to a radically aggressive tactic when you are down and the game is ending. Conventional play and proven strategy has failed and the best chance of turning the game around is to do something drastic. It's a long shot but every so often it works. Voting for trump is like pulling your keeper out of the goal or throwing a Hail Mary in the final seconds. That is how many republicans feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Typical American politicians are usually so out of touch with their own electorate they win on personality, not policy. Trump has both of those and is against political correctness, while also addressing the concerns the American people. He is the best man for the job, even if he won't be able to pass any laws it'll skew the political landscape in the US for the better.

ReputationRep:
    he is the personified middle finger to a crumbling political establishment of career politics and PC lies, basically. even to a libertarian like me, that means a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    he is the personified middle finger to a crumbling political establishment of career politics and PC lies, basically. even to a libertarian like me, that means a lot.
    Thank you Jesus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Thank you Jesus
    you are welcome my child

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nothing says anti-establishment than a corporate billionaire whose given huge sums in donations to politicians in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Trump isn't offering anything for the less well off in America.

All he's doing is shouting populist slogans, attacking minorities and pandering to bigoted people that think mainstream America is "too politically correct".

He's not a serious candidate and he's not going to win. Next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    Listen to Jesus

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.