Turn on thread page Beta

do you need to know the grade b/a or a* content for getting a c? watch

ReputationRep:
    So this might be a dumb question, but I have recentlly changed tiers to the Higher tier. I did the Higher tier in high school, but I still got a D last year in my exam. My maths teacher thought that foundation was the better tier for me and I proved her wrong by getting c's on the Higher exams. So for the past few months, I have learnt the foundation tier and I have watched all of the grade c/d clips. I am doing the Higher paper now and I have the mathswatch cd at home. I have just started watching grade b clips.I have missed a lot of lessons for the higher content. Do you think I should get a higher revision guide or workbook? I have revised a lot of content for the foundation tier and I have a workbook and textboook at home.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by _aishahxo_)
    So this might be a dumb question, but I have recentlly changed tiers to the Higher tier. I did the Higher tier in high school, but I still got a D last year in my exam. My maths teacher thought that foundation was the better tier for me and I proved her wrong by getting c's on the Higher exams. So for the past few months, I have learnt the foundation tier and I have watched all of the grade c/d clips. I am doing the Higher paper now and I have the mathswatch cd at home. i have just started watching grade b clips.I have missed a lot of lessons for the higher content. Do you think I should get a higher revision guide or workbook? I have revised a lot of content for the foundation tier and I have a workbook and textboook at home/
    If you feel confident with the C grade stuff then yes learn the rest of the content.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend getting a cgp revision book. They're generally about 100 pages long, which in the grand scheme of the rest of your life really isn't a lot.

If you're intending to go on to further study, you'll kick yourself for not doing it. When you reach A levels and each exam requires 100 pages worth of reading, or at university and each exam requires 300+ pages of reading.

I just Googled the date of the 2016 maths exams, and it says they're mid June. If that is the case, you've got almost three months to study. Cover 3-4 pages a day... It isn't a lot to commit to to crank your grade up to an A. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Revising grade B/C content is generally a horrible idea though. Even if you're aiming for grade C, you should always revise to the point where you can set least know what you're doing for every question.

If i was you I'd just do past paper questions until i encounter something i don't know how to then revise that. People often trick themselves into thinking they're revising when really they're mindlessly doing questions they can do with ease.

Definitely get a work book. There were people in my school who went from achieving Ds to As in months. It's only in a level where moving up grades so quickly becomes difficult.

To answer the question in your title, no. But learn it anyway. Many decent unis or courses require a B in GCSE maths. Not just a C. So you might as well aim higher

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.