Turn on thread page Beta

Only rich people have MacBooks watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    No problem with compatibility then.
    S'pose so.

ReputationRep:
    My father is rich and I have a Macbook(although it's a 2013 version), but that doesn't mean only rich people can own Macbook's.

ReputationRep:
    More fool them where Wi-Fi only connectivity devices are concerned :erm:

ReputationRep:

not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Not true. I come from a single-income family on under £20k a year, 3 years of careful saving and I own a MacBook Air, although admittedly it was 70% off from a resell site.
    Daaaaaaaamn that's a great deal!

(Original post by Mochassassin)
    Not true.
    I'm not rich, nor are my parents and I got one for uni almost three years ago.
    OMG Mocha! :eek: Yer purple~~ O-O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Daaaaaaaamn that's a great deal!

OMG Mocha! :eek: Yer purple~~ O-O
    I AM!
    Hope you're well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    I AM!
    Hope you're well!
    Things happen when you retire from the frontlines :rofl: I am :O You good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Things happen when you retire from the frontlines :rofl: I am :O You good?
    Hahaha, indeed!
    I'm good, thank you very much! What have you been up to lately?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    Disagree if you save up enough it's not difficult to buy one
    That's what I did, my parents are fairly well off but they don't lavish random gifts on demand on their kids, I worked for mine.

I've gone a bit against Mac after leaving college. I switched from iPhone to Samsung for example and am actually a lot happier with it, however I still think iPad is better than the competition for a tablet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    No problem with compatibility then.
    What's the point of buying a Mac if you're going to use Windows on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Some people like Macs and MacOS so would prefer to buy a Mac than a PC. You can still use MacOS for web browsing, Photoshop etc., just use Windows or Linux for programs that work better in them or aren't available for MacOS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Display, aesthetic, huge battery life, light and compact... Mac OS is spectacular, but there are plenty of other reasons to buy a mac, particularly the laptops.

Your argument doesn't even really make sense if they're talking about dual booting Windows as and when necessary to use a particular program, which they seemed to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not really. chances are theyre rich, into app development for apple products, can afford it, or have just a poor sense of managing their finances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    Jim doesn't have a job, he claims job-seekers allowance which allows him to put some money aside every month. After a couple of months Jim buys a MacBook.

Is Jim rich?
    Ridiculous, asif people on JSA are fortunate enough to put money aside lol and at 50+ quid a week it would take more than a couple of months.. If you want I can break down the maths for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Display, aesthetic, huge battery life, light and compact... Mac OS is spectacular, but there are plenty of other reasons to buy a mac, particularly the laptops.

Your argument doesn't even really make sense if they're talking about dual booting Windows as and when necessary to use a particular program, which they seemed to be.
    There are other laptop brands other than Apple that are light and compact but 3 times cheaper. The operating system isn't that "amazing". It's more secure and uses Unixcode but comes with software incompatibility. Only reason I'd buy it if I had a surplus of money and wanted a nice looking laptop. My argument was that if you're intending on using windows, you're better off using a laptop with much better specifications for the same price.

I brought my 13in Ret Disp for £750

ReputationRep:
    Lmfao no.

I have a Macbook and I really wouldn't say I'm rich at all.

ReputationRep:
    Macbooks are a rip off anyway, the hardware tends not to justify the price tag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    There are other laptop brands other than Apple that are light and compact but 3 times cheaper. The operating system isn't that "amazing". It's more secure and uses Unixcode but comes with software incompatibility. Only reason I'd buy it if I had a surplus of money and wanted a nice looking laptop. My argument was that if you're intending on using windows, you're better off using a laptop with much better specifications for the same price.
    Well 'amazing' (which was an odd word to quote given it wasn't one I used, but whatevs) is a matter of opinion. I love it, because it's extremely easy to use and quick to navigate around. And I haven't seen the combination of build quality, weight, size, and battery life anywhere else that I get from my MacBook Air -- except maybe, iirc, in a Lenovo laptop that was more expensive at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Well 'amazing' (which was an odd word to quote given it wasn't one I used, but whatevs) is a matter of opinion. I love it, because it's extremely easy to use and quick to navigate around. And I haven't seen the combination of build quality, weight, size, and battery life anywhere else that I get from my MacBook Air -- except maybe, iirc, in a Lenovo laptop that was more expensive at the time.
    In the end, you're buying a laptop purely for its cosmetics. You can surf web and do basic stuff but anything that requires processing power the mac will struggle to other laptops at the same price point. This means that it's efficiency is low because the hardware the Mac comes with does not sustain with the price. If you take a Macintosh (no the laptop) with similar specs. as a PC, you will find it much much more expensive. So to answer this thread, yes a Mac costs more than other brands for the same amount of work that could be done. It doesn't mean you have to be rich to buy it, but assuming that you can find enough money to buy something that another thing can do the same but cheaper we consider the person rich.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.