Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got offers for BSc Computer Science at all the above universities (BEng Computing in Imperial's case) and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which ones to put as my firm and insurance. I'm currently swaying towards Imperial (A*AAA + STEP I at Grade 2) as firm and Warwick as insurance (AAA).

What are your opinions on which universities to choose (including why )?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm a bit obsessive so if it were me, I would go through the list of modules for each degree and choose the university which offered the most interesting ones. Location is also a factor; do you want to live in a big city, on a big campus or in a tranquil small city?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to exactly the same universities for Computer Science with Maths. If I had that set of offers for my course I would firm Imperial and probably insurance Warwick. For pure Computer Science I might prefer Bristol over Warwick - I liked the CS department at Bristol more than Warwick's, but I preferred Warwick for maths. I think Imperial is definitely the best; league tables aren't everything, but they do give you a bit of an idea, and Imperial is often top 10 in international ones, quite a way above Bristol or Warwick. Bristol and Warwick are close -- would you prefer a campus or city university? I didn't like Durham, but there's nothing wrong with picking it if you like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I'm a bit obsessive so if it were me, I would go through the list of modules for each degree and choose the university which offered the most interesting ones. Location is also a factor; do you want to live in a big city, on a big campus or in a tranquil small city?
    I think I would prefer a larger city with more to offer than really quiet small city. Sport is also a big thing for me... And I'm unsure whether Imperial has a lot to offer in terms of sport.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by js.int)
    I think I would prefer a larger city with more to offer than really quiet small city. Sport is also a big thing for me... And I'm unsure whether Imperial has a lot to offer in terms of sport.
    No idea, but a good place to look would be Imperial's sport societies. I'm sure they have websites/facebook groups - you should be able to find out what stuff they do and what facilities they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I applied to exactly the same universities for Computer Science with Maths. If I had that set of offers for my course I would firm Imperial and probably insurance Warwick. For pure Computer Science I might prefer Bristol over Warwick - I liked the CS department at Bristol more than Warwick's, but I preferred Warwick for maths. I think Imperial is definitely the best; league tables aren't everything, but they do give you a bit of an idea, and Imperial is often top 10 in international ones, quite a way above Bristol or Warwick. Bristol and Warwick are close -- would you prefer a campus or city university? I didn't like Durham, but there's nothing wrong with picking it if you like it.
    Yeah, I thought Durham's CompSci department was a bit dead when I visited. The one thing that is keeping me away from Bristol is that the student satisfaction is so low (on UniStats).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js.int)
    Yeah, I thought Durham's CompSci department was a bit dead when I visited. The one thing that is keeping me away from Bristol is that the student satisfaction is so low (on UniStats).
    I wouldn't worry about UniStats too much, it isn't very reliable. I get the impression Imperial is quite good for sport (the only concrete thing I know is that their gym membership is cheap). Don't know about either of the others.

Durham in my opinion by far

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.