Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Atheists, do you believe that god doesn't exist? Watch

• View Poll Results: As an atheist, do you have a belief that god doesn't exist?
    100% certain god does not exist
    43.40%
    Probably doesn't exist but not certain
    43.40%
    Don't know either way
    7.55%
    Other (please specify)
    5.66%

ReputationRep:
    Atheism is a belief

Certainty or probability doesn't come into it. They believe there is no God or greater power/force.

Belief doesn't require proof.

ReputationRep:
    it's difficult to be certain, but in the absence of any observable evidence and the vague, contradictory and untestable claims offered by those who believe, I see no reason to believe in God. Which doesn't completely discount God's existence because knowledge can change.

(Original post by zKlown)
    Atheism is a belief

Certainty or probability doesn't come into it. They believe there is no God or greater power/force.

Belief doesn't require proof.
    'Belief doesn't require proof.' -- So you would think, having used an unsubstantiated and demonstrably false statement as a premise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    'Belief doesn't require proof.' -- So you would think, having used an unsubstantiated and demonstrably false statement as a premise.
    What's wrong with the notion that belief doesn't require proof? That's exactly what faith is.

ReputationRep:
    I think all religions are world dominance and hides the real truth.

(Original post by hezzlington)
    What's wrong with the notion that belief doesn't require proof? That's exactly what faith is.
    Nothing wrong with that. A lot wrong with simply asserting what atheists believe, using the false premise that, 'certainty and probability doesn't come into it' when it quite clearly does given the many
    atheists who (myself and others on this thread included) would explain their atheism in terms of probability/certainty.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that. A lot wrong with simply asserting what atheists believe, using the false premise that, 'certainty and probability doesn't come into it' when it quite clearly does given the many
    atheists who (myself included) would explain their atheism in terms of probability/certainty.
    Ah apologies, I thought the statement you were referring to was the one in bold.

ReputationRep:
    atheists who (myself and others on this thread included) would explain their atheism in terms of probability/certainty.
    You believe that a God doesn't exist based on the lack of evidence.

Probability is based on chance, you can't measure belief.

I think you have misinterpreted what I've said, it's hard to put your point across sometimes by text.

Apologies if I caused any offence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    This post has me confused.

You say all agnostics are atheists, but that it's possible for theists to be agnostic. That seems contradictory.

You also say that atheism is the belief that there is no God. I'm not sure where that leaves agnostic atheists. You go on to say that people who call themselves agnostics simply because they're unsure whether God exists are actually atheists, and not agnostics, as they must have a belief that God doesn't exist. But it's unclear to me why the two should be mutually exclusive.

Atheism is a position with respect to belief. Agnosticism is a position with respect to knowledge. They are connected, but you seem to be conflating them.
    It is contradictory, sorry for not clarifying that. I mean, someone can be an agnostic theist if they are willing to believe in something which they have absolutely no evidence for. This of course, is a ridiculous belief. So what I should say is that no sane person could be agnostic and theist. All sane agnostics, are atheist.

Agnostic is a adjective put on the theist in agnostic atheist, but the term agnostic atheist is poor anyway because it just makes confuses things since its use of 'agnosticism' is a misnomer. I prefer 'weak atheist' which has the same meaning but isn't confusing as it doesn't mention a term that in all other uses is epistemic, not meta-physical. So yeah, the agnostic atheist is a type of atheist, as indicated by the name.. I didn't mean to say they were mutually exclusive and I never specifically did, but it may have appeared so.

What I meant is this:

If you are agnostic, by proxy you are atheist. If you are atheist that doesn't imply however that you are agnostic because there are people who believe that if God existed there would be evidence of him and thus the lack of such is direct probabilistic evidence towards his non-existence. Thus these are non-agnostic atheists that are not certain that God exists. Furthermore, there are people that think the concept of God under any specific formation is paradoxically and thus it cannot possible exist. These are non-agnostic, strong atheists.

(Original post by Keyhofi)
    As an atheist I personally don't believe God exists and I don't believe we will ever find evidence of his/her/its existence/s. But I am still open to any new theories or evidence that people find that seemingly prove God exists.

So technically I am 100% sure God doesn't exist, but at the same time completely open to new ideas.
    Clearly don't understand how probability works then. Only tautologies can be 100% true under any normal system of probability, not sure which one you are using...

ReputationRep:
    Although not certain I believe spiderman and the bogeyman to be more real than God.

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that God exists but there are too many religions & they all say that only they are the true ones

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has a spiritual side its all part of the human condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Everybody has a spiritual side its all part of the human condition.
    What is a spiritural side? Try and explain it without reference to anything human.

You won't be able to. You're just looking at the human condition and then calling that a spiritual side and thus, obviously, by definition, all humans are spiritual...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    What is a spiritural side? Try and explain it without reference to anything human.

You won't be able to. You're just looking at the human condition and then calling that a spiritual side and thus, obviously, by definition, all humans are spiritual...
    I think you just got it.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the wording of that question is a bit odd?

I mean to me asking that question and giving them those options is like asking:
    "Footballers, do you play football?" and then asking them how often they play football.
    Or asking: "Potterheads, do you like Harry Potter?" And then asking them how much.

[Just in case you don't know. 'Potterheads' is the name given to Harry Potter fans]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    Surely the wording of that question is a bit odd?

I mean to me asking that question and giving them those options is like asking:
    "Footballers, do you play football?" and then asking them how often they play football.
    Or asking: "Potterheads, do you like Harry Potter?" And then asking them how much.

[Just in case you don't know. 'Potterheads' is the name given to Harry Potter fans]
    Not at all.

Belief is generally meant to as "an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof", "something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion" or " trust, faith, or confidence in (someone or something)" [Oxford Dictionary]. Basically a proposition held to be true.

For many atheists, their position on theistic claims, specifically god, is not that the opposite is held to be true i.e. god does not exist. It is more rationally the position of simply not believing in god claims since there isn't a way to prove the non-existence of god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    Pragnostics :ahee:
    Pragnotheist?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure there's no God (it seems illogical to be 100% sure considering there's no evidence for either side), but I'd say I'm more of an apatheist -- whether or not God exists, I simply don't care.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that God is not real, I do however believe that if he did it would be necessary to abolish him.

ReputationRep:
    Agnosticism addresses knowledge; atheism addresses belief. The agnostic says, “I don't have a knowledge that God exists.” The atheist says, “I don't have a belief that God exists.” You can say both things at the same time. Some agnostics are atheistic and some are theistic.
    Link here and here.

So I would identify as an agnostic atheist; I would say that it is impossible to 100% confirm or deny the existence of a God but it is my inclination to suggest that one does not as I see no evidence to imply such a existence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.