Turn on thread page Beta

Atheists, do you believe that god doesn't exist? watch

• View Poll Results: As an atheist, do you have a belief that god doesn't exist?
    100% certain god does not exist
    42.59%
    Probably doesn't exist but not certain
    44.44%
    Don't know either way
    7.41%
    Other (please specify)
    5.56%

(Original post by mojojojo101)
    I believe that God is not real, I do however believe that if he did it would be necessary to abolish him.
    Nice allusion to Voltaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    I am 100% sure that god does not exist, because I am 100% sure that the supernatural does not exist. If something exists, it must be a natural phenomena. Perhaps more importantly, I am 100% certain that an ethical god does not exist. Both ways, the concept of "god" should not change how anybody lives there life.
    Part of the atheist argument, at least in the intellectual tradition, is an acceptance that we can never be absolutely certain that a god does not exists, rather we find the arguments to the country unconvincing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    I believe we can be certain that no supernatural entity exists in this universe, and has absolutely no effect on our lives. Only natural phenomena do.

Those who believe in a god that has an effect on the universe and our lives wish to have their cake and eat it.
    I guess it depends on how you define natural and supernatural, but I'm not sure how you derived the non-existence of a supernatural reality from the idea that only natural entities and processes affect our lives. How can you be 100% sure about this, as you claimed in a previous post? Could you elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not sure of the existance of God...Nor do I care about the existance of God, which is why I consider myself as an apatheist rather than an atheist or agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    All phenomena are natural, it is perfectly simple. Observing something that is claimed to be supernatural would be an oxymoron. There is no evidence of the supernatural, and never could be.
    Would you say the concept of the supernatural is inherently incoherent and impossible, or do you deny the existence of a supernatural realm due to the lack of observable evidence?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Atheists are normally 100% on it and if you re unsure you might identify as being agnostic instead.
    Richard Dawkins has said he's not 100% sure. So I wouldn't say that 100% certainty is likely to be the norm for atheists, nor should it be.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.