ReputationRep:
    Islam invented:
    -Algebra
    -The Toothbrush
    -The Guitar
    -The Lute
    -Glasses
    -Hospitals

So on this day, remember to thank Muslims for all the above, and everything that resulted from the above

ReputationRep:
    awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    Islam invented:
    -Algebra
    -The Toothbrush
    -The Guitar
    -The Lute

-Glasses
    -Hospitals

So on this day, remember to thank Muslims for all the above, and everything that resulted from the above
    These are wrong.

Please check your facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    These are wrong.

Please check your facts.
    I got the list from here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6424836.html

ReputationRep:
    The religion didn't invent anything you tosser, people who follow the religion did.

And some of the things mentioned there are wrong.

Would you call cell phones, the internet, shoes, televisions, wrist-watch Christian inventions?

ReputationRep:
    I got the list from here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6424836.html

Using the Huffington compost, a site well known for peddling liberal nonsense as evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Zinan)
    Using the Huffington compost, a site well known for peddling liberal nonsense as evidence?
    Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z-Zinan)
    I guess you read the Daily Mail, a well known source of truth and tolerance?

ReputationRep:
    I guess you read the Daily Mail, a well known source of truth and tolerance?

I get my news alternatively.

I don't listen to bought and paid for mainstream media outlets, both liberal and conservative.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Islam invented:
    -Algebra
    -The Toothbrush
    -The Guitar
    -The Lute
    -Glasses
    -Hospitals

Because if the attributed inventor did not do something nobody else ever would have!

Let's see, Algebra was used by the Babylonians over a millennium before Islam
    The tootbrush as we recognise it today, China, although people have been cleaning their teeth since pre-history, again, pre Islam
    The Guitar, believed to be the descendant of a variety of instruments, mostly European and...
    The Lute, oh what's this, once again, pre-Islam, Mesopotamia in the 4th Millennium BC at the very latest
    Well, I guess you do kinda have one here in that the optics work was done originally, as far as we know, by an Arab and very likely Muslim.
    Oh, now we're back to you being wrong, Hospitals existed for over a thousand years before Islam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because if the attributed inventor did not do something nobody else ever would have!

Let's see, Algebra was used by the Babylonians over a millennium before Islam
    The tootbrush as we recognise it today, China, although people have been cleaning their teeth since pre-history, again, pre Islam
    The Guitar, believed to be the descendant of a variety of instruments, mostly European and...
    The Lute, oh what's this, once again, pre-Islam, Mesopotamia in the 4th Millennium BC at the very latest
    Well, I guess you do kinda have one here in that the optics work was done originally, as far as we know, by an Arab and very likely Muslim.
    Oh, now we're back to you being wrong, Hospitals existed for over a thousand years before Islam
    I'm not wrong,

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/me...im.inventions/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...d-6106905.html

ReputationRep:
    Islam invented:
    -Algebra
    -The Toothbrush
    -The Guitar
    -The Lute
    -Glasses
    -Hospitals

Okay very rushed message here from me but here we go:

How selfish that you want people to think about Islam on a Christian Holiday. It's not all about you, you know.

The only thing of note here is Algebra. Everything else had existed in one form or another for thousands of years before Islam sprouted up.

Yes there was an Islamic Golden Age 800 years ago. There has been no improvement or evolution of Islam's principles since then. Just because an Arab 'invented' algebra doesn't mean we can't criticise Islam as a religion. How exactly did Islam lead to algebra's discovery anyway? - Does it mean that Christianity put men on the Moon (ofc not)?

Britain has contributed far more to the world but we don't go around telling other people to be thankful for uplifting humanity from political serfdom, pestilence and agrarianism by beginning the industrial revolution.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false
    http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/tooth.html
    Secondary, but corroborates with other non-news sources http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbo...efHistory.html
    http://www.britishmuseum.org/researc...15-3-17&page=1
    First Council of Nicea, 300 years before Islam, declared all Cathedral Cities should have a hospital, and they weren't even the originals, again, going to a museum, but if you think that Islam loving media is more reliable so be it http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/brou...emes/hospitals

ReputationRep:
    Islam invented:
    -Algebra
    -The Toothbrush
    -The Guitar
    -The Lute
    -Glasses
    -Hospitals

Algebra: no
    Toothbrush: don't know but this took a lot of forms and the modern one isn't.
    Lute: no
    Glasses: not invented, stated that it was later developed from knowledge made by Alhazen
    Hospitals: depends on what you would consider a hospital

Congrats you managed to whip up some lists from random news sources, how about legitimate sources?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Roofas)
    Okay very rushed message here from me but here we go:

How selfish that you want people to think about Islam on a Christian Holiday. It's not all about you, you know.

The only thing of note here is Algebra. Everything else had existed in one form or another for thousands of years before Islam sprouted up.

Yes there was an Islamic Golden Age 800 years ago. There has been no improvement or evolution of Islam's principles since then. Just because an Arab 'invented' algebra doesn't mean we can't criticise Islam as a religion. How exactly did Islam lead to algebra's discovery anyway? - Does it mean that Christianity put men on the Moon (ofc not)?

Britain has contributed far more to the world but we don't go around telling other people to be thankful for uplifting humanity from political serfdom, pestilence and agrarianism by beginning the industrial revolution.
    Algebra existed for thousands of years before Islam.

ReputationRep:
    lol Islam invented algebra, ok

ReputationRep:
    Even though that list is complete fiction, it's stupid how we can say Islam is responsible for good things, but not for bad things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slutty Salafi)
    Even though that list is complete fiction, it's stupid how we can say Islam is responsible for good things, but not for bad things.
    I think you've got it the wrong way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roofas)

I'm not a Muslim. I'm just a tolerant person. Its not all about you, either. The UK should treat all religions equally, but Christianity still gets pretty much all the holidays. Easter is a time for Christians to celebrate their God (the same God that Muslims celebrate), and to wish others, even non-Christians, well. Promoting this message, that Islamic culture is not all about terrorism, is not selfish.

And you British do; you constantly talk about the british empire as though it was the greatest force for good that ever existed...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You have been proven wrong by multiple people but im also going to prove you wrong
    Algebra existing years before Islam although a muslim called Al-Khwarizmi were involved in algebra but He did not " Invent Algebra so you are sort of right
    The bristle toothbrush, similar to the type used today, was not invented until 1498 in China. The bristles were actually the stiff, coarse hairs taken from the back of a hog's neck and attached to handles made of bone or bamboo.
    Again The toothbrush was created in China in 1498
    The Earliest of hospitals were " invented " long. before the medieval Islamic period
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hospitals
    Guitar
    Evolved from the lute
    Before the development of the electric guitar and the use of synthetic materials, a guitar was defined as being an instrument having "a long, fretted neck, flat wooden soundboard, ribs, and a flat back, most often with incurved sides."[1] The term is used to refer to a number of chordophones that were developed and used across Europe, beginning in the 12th century and, later, in the Americas.[2] A 3,300-year-old stone carving of a Hittite bard playing a stringed instrument is the oldest iconographic representation of a chordophone and clay plaques from Babylonia show people playing an instrument that has a strong resemblance to the guitar, indicating a possible Babylonian origin for the guitar.[3][4]
    Glasses
    The first eyeglasses were made in Italy in about 1286, but it is not clear who the inventor was. Again not a Islamic invention

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.