Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in becoming a Barrister, although happy with becoming a solicitor too, however I am a management student at Leeds University.

I know I will need to do a GDL then a LPC or BPTC.
    However, would this be the same as doing a postgraduate in law too?
    Just trying to see what routes I can take to follow this path!

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi sorry for the late reply.

Generally speaking they are different courses, but sometimes they disguise GDL in an MA so students can get funding, they cna also do the same with LPC, so check the course content and what it qyalifies you to do. LPC is more procedural and practical. MA in general will be black letter law and academic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the GDL currently. It's my understanding that it is separate from a postgraduate law qualification; you would need to do the GDL to convert to a qualifying law degree. I know people who are doing an LLM as part of their LPC, so I think that is then considered the same as a postgraduate. I don't know whether this is an option for the BPTC.

Ultimately you are best speaking to the admissions team at wherever you are looking to study as they will be able to give you the definitive answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.