Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any Durham History students willing to answer some questions I have?

ReputationRep:
    I will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sootyrabbit123)
    I will
    Thanks! Okay, 1. How likely am I to be able to take a year abroad? 2. How likely am I to be able to take outside modules in a beginner's language? (Particularly German). 3. How helpful/ available are the lecturers? 4. How interesting do you find the course? 5. I come from a city- will I struggle to settle in somewhere as small as Durham? 6. It seems very "public school"- how true is that?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry for the late reply- my notifications were switched off! In answer to your questions:
    1. You can apply for history and a year abroad as a course from the beginning. Alternatively you can switch (with the department's permission, etc,) from single honours history to this course and still have a year abroad. There are lots of options available so I am sure you could sort something out and usually you have a talk about schemes like Erasmus in freshers' week.
    2. As far as I am aware you can definitely take outside language modules, called 'electives'. You take 6 modules in total and two of these can be electives- beginners would count as two. There are some restrictions with certain modules and sometimes it does depend on how popular it is with the students who are actually taking that modules, in terms of space. Also there is a Languages for All scheme which are evening classes, but you have to pay for these.
    3. Lecturers are really varied and it does depend on modules... Overall I would say they are very good and there is a huge emphasis on going to see them for help- they practically beg you! But like at all universities there will be some boring and not so good ones, but mostly very good.
    4. I actually do a joint course, but there is so much choice for history modules compared to other subjects and a chance to study some really unique time periods/events, i.e. there is one on Robin Hood!
    5. Possibly. Durham is very small and does feel like a campus university though it isn't! It can feel a bit overwhelming at times, but then we have short terms so you do get a break from the 'bubble'. Newcastle is very close though and there are plenty of opportunities to go out and explore. I personally like the feeling of the city, as it feels safe and friendly, but literally it is just students.
    6. Yes it is very public school, but I don't think that has a negative effect at all and if you go to a Hill college there are certainly less who have been to public schools. Durham is a very traditional university so there will always be that public school feel, which is why it probably has a bit of a 'bubble' feel- come for an open day and you will be able to see for yourself!

Hope that helps, I am happy to answer anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.